Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1950 Panhead chopper. I want to make it into a 1960's style bobber. So I'm gonna start with a frame. I don't even know what to start with in order to save the money to buy one. & I definatley need to save the money.

This is a very cool girder front end. Hate to take it off, but I just cannot ride this bike! I will rechrome and hang it on the wall for abit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ill bet that you could sell that girder pretty quick in the classifieds or Ebay. As for the frame , is the rake that bad? You can always have a good fab guy de-rake it. Im sure since youre in Chicago there are a few custom bike builders in your area. And Ive got a bad case of Pan-Envy going on over here!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the envy. But it hasn't been started in 5 years or so. I bought this bike back in 2000, only rode it once, while I was pregnant, let the ol man ride it for a few years. He got a fatboy, stopped giving my pan any attention and recently left me. So now I'm gonna make a bobber. God, he's stupid! The frame is aftermarket and really need something easier to ride. I am only 5'2" and I want to have complete control (don't all women want that?) So the frame has to go.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Ya might be able to sell or trade it as a roller, pull the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Do you have a title for the motor?? If it was me I would sort that out and make sure the numbers are good before I spend a cent. Consider posting a pic of the motor number here, lots of great people here that will know if they are legit. Then...

1) Decide on the style of bike you want including the parts. Print out pics etc. Hang them up to keep you focussed.
2) Sell off all the stuff you have now you dont want as little D suggested maybe even as a roller. DONT waste your $ chroming that front end if you arent using it.
3) Buy the frame you want to use based upon rake, stretch etc you want.
4) Get a second job, do what ever you need to to get $$$ that you will need. That Pan wont be cheap to rebuild.
5) Follow up every lead for cheap parts. OEM springers arent ;)
6) Ask lots of questions.
7) BE PATIENT.

Good luck and welcome. :)

·
Administrator
7,804 Posts
Ya might be able to sell or trade it as a roller, pull the engine and tranny.
Do you have a title for the motor?? If it was me I would sort that out and make sure the numbers are good before I spend a cent. Consider posting a pic of the motor number here, lots of great people here that will know if they are legit. Then...

1) Decide on the style of bike you want including the parts. Print out pics etc. Hang them up to keep you focussed.
2) Sell off all the stuff you have now you dont want as little D suggested maybe even as a roller. DONT waste your $ chroming that front end if you arent using it.
3) Buy the frame you want to use based upon rake, stretch etc you want.
4) Get a second job, do what ever you need to to get $$$ that you will need. That Pan wont be cheap to rebuild.
5) Follow up every lead for cheap parts. OEM springers arent ;)
6) Ask lots of questions.
7) BE PATIENT.

Good luck and welcome. :)
Do what they said.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Could someone educate me on that air cleaner cover please???...I have never seen one of those...just curious about it...

My thoughts on the build...first, don't re-chrome that girder...polish it up (you might be suprised how nice it comes out) and then hang it on your wall if you want to keep it...if not, do as the rest said and sell it as a roller to get the frame and front end that you do need...then, after that, figure out exactly what you want and then start getting parts...there will be plenty of help on here whan you need it...

That's a great start you have there....good luck with it...

Larry in MD

·
Registered
296 Posts
Chicago, look for a 30* stock frame (o rake, o stretch). They're super common, made by everyone, and make for a compact, easy handling bike. Front ends can be anything you want obviously but a narrow glide will be smaller, nimble, and likewise super easy to find at cheap prices.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i pretty much just did the same thing.very similar setup.kept the motor and tranny.sold off most the rest.so far took about 2500 off the build cost.i have a build and a finished thread on here somewheres.the best ways to get it started have already been said.make it happen and good luck w/ it.
joey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I do have a title for the motor, that says classic with serial numbers. The frame has no number as it is aftermarket. The air cleaner? Got no fucking clue. Something the ex-ol man picked up in the back room of a parts shop. I hate it! I will look for that smaller frame. That is exactly what I want.
Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's been about 5 years since it was started. I can't kick it cuz the compression is wound so tight. I got a buddy coming over to help with that, just to be sure I don't have to tear into the motor. About 10 years ago we milled the heads and honed the cylinders, the motor should be good.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Air cleaner is for a Rev-tech carb. They were sold for awhile back when. It's likely the Rev-tech carb under it. They are kinda funky carbs, with replaceable venturis. I think they went as small as 34mm and as big as 44 or so.

Your pan motor should be fairly easy to start. I hope that it didn't get the compression ratio raised, but more than likely it's just wet sumped and full of oil. I'd start by pulling the spark plugs and the timing plug, spraying some kinda oil into the chambers and kicking it with all the plugs out 'til it pumps all the oil out. It might be easier to start than you think.

·
Registered
190 Posts
just in case,let me give you a heads up on the engine/vin.it should be 50 fl or el with 4 numbers after that ending in an even number ie:50fl6330 if you have that you should be good.if you need a pic of the numbers let me know,i have a 49 model.good luck and your old man was stupid.take care

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.