Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the movie again last night: Rebel Without a Cause with James Dean. Was the scooter that Sal Mineo was riding a Cushman?

Ago

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's been a while since I've seen the movie, and there's really only one scene where you really get a good, close shot of the scooter itself. It's the one where Plato is trying to get away from the guys while trying to push and start his scooter, and Hopper and the boys grab him.

In that scene, you can see the body's expanded metal side panel with the "winged ball" design on it. From that, I'd say it was a Salsbury Model 70 or 72 - only difference between the two models is the 70 had the seat mounted to the body, the 72 had the seat on two mono-leaf springs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Rich,

Looks like a glorified mini bike! Did it have front suspension? what kind of engine did it have?

Ago

·
Registered
102 Posts
I Love Salsburys! My Dad has a model 85 (like the orange one in the above photo). I'm going to have to get thing out and going one of these days.
Kev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.