Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the midst spacing my rear wheel on my sportster. I've tried searching for threads like this but couldn't find anything quite as specific as this. I have the tire centered and the right side spacer pvc mock up in place. Here's my problem. I know that the caliper has to be directly center on the rotor. I know the spacer between the caliper and the bearing is pretty crucial. How do I go about finding the measurement of that spacer?

·
Registered
884 Posts
trial and error. just use your pvc and try different sizes untill you get it right. also be sure to snug the axle down every time you try them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may have to use spacers between sprocket and hub to keep chain alignment, also behind the brake disc to keep wheel centered. As in previous post, trial and error. Are you using a wider than stock tire? Chain alignment and disc to caliper is critical. Keep wheel centered in frame and go from there.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
In a tight spot like that, I hook a wire to the frame, with all the brake parts in place, and pull the tire against the side you are wanting to measure. Make the wire, sit against the rim, and then push the rim against the pvc spacer, hold tight and measure from the rim, to the wire. That will give you a real close start, and you can use washers to fill it if it is to short, until you get the centering right, and then, measure the spacer and washers, for the final cut. Always cut long, and square, because you can always make it shorter, but a little harder to make it longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts