Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These sumumma bitches are gonna result in me throwing something pretty soon. What is the trick to getting these things in?

Is there a simple method or am I going to have to make something to get this done?

Somewhat unrelated question - should there be any side-to-side play on the swingarm pivot bolt at the frame cradle? Like an 1/8" or so.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Hmmm...I dimly remember doing this. Are they the right size? Those bushings look huge, like they'd be all mushroomed out way before they went in that eye.
I've got a similar shock right here, you sure you don't need the kind that's just one piece rubber with the steel bushing in the center? or at least with less taper?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
For the original bushings, The Doc is right. They are flat and have a steel bushing in the center. The bushing he has, are for some aftermarket shock, with the taper in the rod end. They use cupped washers to keep them in.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...guess who feels like a dumbass. I guess I just assumed the shock eyelets were the same. These came with the studs I purchased for moving over to the round swingarm.

You're right Shovithead - these have the cup washers on the sides.

I have a set of the plastic hourglass-shaped ones from an old set of shocks. I will probably have to remove the steel bushing from them as these rear shock studs are a larger diameter. That should be a hoot. I think I need to invest in a press.

Thanks for the insight guys

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Thanks for the link Doc.

Looks like I'll be buying a new set of bushings. These will be thoroughly destroyed by the time they're off the steel lining bushing.
Aren't they molded to the steel spacers? I tried to remove the steel spacers from a pair of hourglass shaped bushings a few years ago and it was a definate "no-go".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.