Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rain gear for riding has come along way since the construction yellows I used to try to wear years ago then throw out tattered and wetter than if I didnt wear them.

What do you guys think is the best rain gear to pack for a trip?

I couldnt find anything with the search function-has this ever been covered?

I ride pretty much every day, mostly to work but dont care if I get wet coming home or on any local ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Technic one piece jumpsuit that does a real good job, but it is sort of a pain to get into (they fit snug so they do not flap) I also have a set of FrogTogs, a 2 piece set, real nice, light, rolls up small, and I do not know how they do it, but you do not sweat in it. Only problem is, if it is cold and raining, you will stay dry while you freeze to death. lol
I had a DryRider one piece from HD years ago, that worked real well, I think I got about 10 years out of it before it shredded.

given the choice, I would do the Technic. Try www.revzilla.com for pictures. Google says they carry Technic

If you get a one piece, and you ride with forward controls: get some self stick velcro squares if you do not have a way to sew, and put one at the bottom of the front zipper. I ride a chop, first time out, found out that water goes RIGHT UP the bottom of the front flap without it being sealed, (which it is not when you buy it)

hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Tour Master two piece. It's black wiith silver reflective material. If you plan to ride year around like I do it's a good buy. The pants are bibs and I've never gotten wet. It has plenty of space so you can move in it, but it doesn't fill with air or flap around.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Trash bags and duct tape. Wear it once, and throw it away. 100 dollars will last you several years.

·
Registered
935 Posts
go all out and get the heavy duty construction bags , they hold up better than lawn & leaf 5 star rating for comfort and fit , plus they make youre old ladys ass look not fat

·
Registered
40 Posts
go ahead and use trash bags on the next rainy day and you'll spend the next dry day chipping melted plastic off your pipes. Evaluate how much riding you plan on doing and in what conditions. If you're bar hoping within 30 miles of home then screw a rain suit. If you live somewhere that doesn't rain more than a few days a year go cheap. However, if you are going to ride year around and plan on taking longer rides then dont skimp. I've been riding since '85. I've been through 41 states and 5 countries on a bike and I can tell you that when you're 100 miles into a rain storm with a hundred more to go a good rainsuit will make the difference between a ride you'll remember and a ride you'll want to forget.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...Im still in search of some gloves that handle rain and cold.
The ones that the shops try to sell, that say "all weather", etc, look no promising.

-no matter how good equipment you have, but after the gloves sinking water...you re fucked with the cold weather

·
Registered
788 Posts
I always heard (and followed) not to ride in the rain too much so as not to get water in the air intake and into the cylinders.

Here in az, if you get a rain burst, it doesnt last too long and if it does, the roads get flooded and you don't want to ride in it anyway...

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
I always heard (and followed) not to ride in the rain too much so as not to get water in the air intake and into the cylinders.
Hee hee...yeah, these motors won't run in the rain, that's what I've heard!! :D

See, out here in the Northeast we have to be ready for rain, snow, whatever foul weather may strike on a ride...preparedness is key, & failure is not an option...that's what makes us so badass...

edit: Yeah, those Walmart suits are surprisingly effective for short money. Just watch those pants around the exhaust.

·
Registered
887 Posts
WHAT THE HELL!!!! RAIN GEAR!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!!!! Knuck From Indiana.
I don't have anywhere to pack rain rear, never had any, and I ride quite abit. I've got caught out in the rain many a time. In the middle of summer (I'm in Indiana too) the weather here changes every hour it seems. It can be sunny and 85 when you leave, then 75 and rain 15 miles down the road. Then you ride out of it (soaked to the bone) and 10 more miles down the road it's 90 and sunshine to dry you off before you get to where you were going in the first place.

Sixball

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Name brand - Hefty bags with a drawstring, and/or (if I'm traveling or it's below 40°) the Triumph riding jacket my wife bought for me for Christmas a few years ago. Man, that fucker is nice! I can ride in wet 27° weather with it. I just get a lot of funny stares on my not-Triumph.

My pipes don't care much about plastic melting on them....or skin, either.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've done more 500mi days in the driving rain than I wish was true. Have only in the last five or six years REALLY gotten my gear together to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore.

Seems every trip we take we get soaked.

A flexible snap on face shield like you can buy at any powersports dealers is KEY!!! (thanks Sal!) Changed my whole life. No more stinging rain the face. Packs flat. Cost about $10 so if it breaks or you lose it you won't cry.

For those long ass days when you wake up in a motel room on a Sunday four hundred miles from home and you need to be at work the next day. . .

Rubbers. Cover your boots. Like these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/28961/ITEM/Vega-Waterproof-Boot-Covers.aspx

Waterproof over-gloves. Like these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/22502/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Overgloves-2-0.aspx

Both are cheap, pack small and help a ton.

Yellow glasses help visibility.

A sip of whiskey here and there during the day will take the knots out of your shoulder and perhaps improve your disposition. Not advocating catching a buzz, but there really is medecinal value in alcohol. Riding with tense shoulders and neck makes for a long day.

Jason

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.