Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between an early juice drum and a late juice drum? Tell me if I am wrong but the early one is thiner and the late is thicker in width. The late is also set up to run a bearing right? Any help? Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
seems to me that there were 3 juice drums, two for star hubs & 1 for '67-'72 sealed bearing hubs, which had an additional bearing in the drum for support. the star hub type were diferent widths & used diferent backing plates as well i think.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
choppercopper1 said:
Was looking for info for the info for the star hubs.
The one's your referring to came in two completely different versions - '58-'62, and '63-'66.

The '58-'62's are 1 7/8" deep for the 1 5/16" brake shoes and the 1" bore wheel cylinder, and has a smaller diameter backing plate from the '63-'66's. The early drums were stamped steel, the later were cast.

The '63-'66 are 2 1/8" deep, and take the 1 13/16" brake shoes, and the 1 1/8" bore wheel cylinder, and has a larger backing plate to incorporate the dust ring. The drums are cast.

The '58-'62 brake shoes were bonded, the '63-'66 were rivited.

As far as spacers (both inner and outer) there are only a couple that are in common between the two, and you're better off buying a full axle/spacer kit for your year drum, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy trying to buy them individually, and get the right spacer for the internals.

Obviously, the '63-'66 brakes are bigger, but that's the setup everybody usually looks for, for a custom. And, it's really hard to find drums that are still turnable in both the pre-'72 sizes, and the aftermarket repops are junk.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
choppercopper1 said:
So Rich, the best drum I should use for the VL project is the 63-66? Will it fit any star hub or are they just going to fit that year hub? Thanks again for the info.
Yeah, the '58-'62, and the '63-'66 juicers will both fit all the '35-'66 interchangable star hubs. If you want to use a '72-up juicer, you'll have to use the matching '72-up rear hub with it, because the interchangable hubs stop in '66, and a '72-up hub takes a '72-up drum only, and vice-versa.

I like the '63-'66 juice brake because of the wider drum, the wider shoes, the bigger wheel cylinders, and the backing plate with the lip that goes over the edge of the drum-they're a little more water and dirt proof.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Irish Rich said:
The one's your referring to came in two completely different versions - '58-'62, and '63-'66.

The '58-'62's are 1 7/8" deep for the 1 5/16" brake shoes and the 1" bore wheel cylinder, and has a smaller diameter backing plate from the '63-'66's. The early drums were stamped steel, the later were cast.

The '63-'66 are 2 1/8" deep, and take the 1 13/16" brake shoes, and the 1 1/8" bore wheel cylinder, and has a larger backing plate to incorporate the dust ring. The drums are cast.

The '58-'62 brake shoes were bonded, the '63-'66 were rivited.

As far as spacers (both inner and outer) there are only a couple that are in common between the two, and you're better off buying a full axle/spacer kit for your year drum, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy trying to buy them individually, and get the right spacer for the internals.

Obviously, the '63-'66 brakes are bigger, but that's the setup everybody usually looks for, for a custom. And, it's really hard to find drums that are still turnable in both the pre-'72 sizes, and the aftermarket repops are junk.

Thanks for your re's & the info, Rich ..

I'm tryin to help Jason w/some pieces from my stash, & I realised I needed to brush up on the details & differences too ..

later,

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hate to dredge up a thread from the past, but...

For the hydraulic rear juice drums, could you drive them with a 1/2 Nissin master cylinder? Or do you necessarily need to use the ugly ass Wegners?

Z

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great info, I have a question. i'm pretty new to the Juice drum set up. I've been doing lots of research. and I'm sure you guys can help me pretty easily. I've got a star hub with a brake drum. I'm going to mate it up in a round swing arm as a juice drum on a custom frame. Looking at all the axles and the spacers and what not in the catalogs, none have much description other than the compatible years....

can someone tell me what year I have here? Is there someone that will know what year axle and brake assembly I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
That is a mechanical brake drum....and the sprocket is plumb wore out!
See your other post for more...

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, as the sprocket is worn out and the drum is only good for a mechanical... Would it be alright to buy a new drum and juice set up from someone like CCI? Would it fit this star hub?

I've read some bad things about them on this forum, where else does one go to replace parts like this though, if they're not found used....?

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
In the last six months there have probable been about that same number of brake set-ups for sale right on this site. How hard are you looking?
Robbie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts