Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor has this 1975 Harley. I'm just starting my search for a Harley and want input, good or bad, on this cycle. I am leaning towards getting a new sportster but am considering older cycles too.

Now about this particular one...........
Please excuse my ignorance about some details.

A 1975. Has FLH 1200 on the rear fender. Also has about a million lights on it. Comes with front fairing - not pictured. 6256 original miles...........yes six thousand two hundred fifty six. VIN 2A506##H5. Clear title.

1985 was the last time it was rode regularly. Woman's first husband died around that date. Has been started ocasionally. Last started about 1 year ago. Battery dead. Brakes have no feel to them. Clutch feels OK.

What model is this? What is a fair price?

·
Registered
23 Posts
NADA Antique Motorcycle 1975 HARLEY-DAVIDSON FLH-1200 74ci July 20, 2006 Price Excellent: $12325 Very Good: $9150 Good: $6550 Fair: $4475 Poor: $3475 ( electra glide ) i have seen some with original paint and more miles around here go for around $7500

·
Registered
726 Posts
hep1966 said:
A neighbor has this 1975 Harley. I'm just starting my search for a Harley and want input, good or bad, on this cycle. I am leaning towards getting a new sportster but am considering older cycles too.

A 1975. Has FLH 1200 on the rear fender. Also has about a million lights on it. Comes with front fairing - not pictured. 6256 original miles...........yes six thousand two hundred fifty six. VIN 2A506##H5. Clear title.

1985 was the last time it was rode regularly. Woman's first husband died around that date. Has been started ocasionally. Last started about 1 year ago. Battery dead. Brakes have no feel to them. Clutch feels OK.

Model is FLH, 74 cubic inch Shovel. You didn't say what they wanted for it, but $7000 to $ 9000 is not out of the question. Lot more possiblities than a Sportster, and a better ride also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is asking $7000.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. The linked picture sure looks quite different (better) than what I saw in the garage today. Wondering if she might consider $5000. It's going to cost some bucks to get it going.

Minimums:

Tires
Fluids
Brakes
Battery

Assuming nothing is broken, what should it cost to get it roadworthy? What would the extra parts (bags, fairing, lights) sell for? I couldn't get a picture of it but there's even more lights on the front.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
5000.00 Fuck i'll buy it for that !!!!!!!! probablly get that on E-GAY .. from all those crappy lights if they are guides!!!!!!do it ..money in the bank ..........Blk13

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hep1966 said:
Minimums:

Tires
Fluids
Brakes
Battery
What are these things going to cost?

·
Registered
801 Posts
keep all the lights on there, you can ride around and scare the shit out of those UFO freaks in your town...they'll think it's some type of space ship or something.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Thats a beautiful bagger. Nothing on there is "crap or junk" Strip it down and put the parts away for your touring days that are sure to follow.

·
Registered
457 Posts
hep1966 said:

Buy it and add more lights.....

All seriousness - the pic here - that JW posted -
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...5690.jpg&s=f10

Sick Sick Sick......

Much better idea than a new Sportster IMO....

Hope you get it...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Keep the lights and shit, these **** wagons are getting rarer and rarer everyday. Everyone's got a fucking chopper these days, I'd love to have that bike and keep it that way.

A friend of mine bought one off of an old black man for $2500. He just visited the old dude every once in a while to say hi, eventually the guy sold it to him, it was/is a great runner and all that cool old shit's still on it. It's way cooler than a lot of these so called choppers in this podunk town.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Oh yeah, I'd rather have a high mileage runner than a low miler that hasn't run in years. The worst thing you can do to a mechanical object is to not use it, ideally it should be used a lot, going to church on Sunday morning doesn't count. If the engine never gets to operating temperature the acids and condensation formed in combustion never get to burn out and it does untold damage to bearings and cylinders.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hep1966 said:
What are these things going to cost?
Tires- depending on the brand but a Metzler 130 would run you about $130
Fluids- oil about $6 a quart, you will need 3 for the motor and a filter, straight 60 for a shovel, you will need a quart of 20/50 for the primary and a quart of 20/50 for the trans
Brakes- about $20 for a set of pads and some DOT 5 fluid
Battery- $100

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Don't put DOT 5 brake fluid in without checking whats in there first or you will have a mess on your hands. its most likley DOT 3 ...they dont mix. if you want to change to 5 you gotta flush everything or better yet, flush lines, disassemble and clean your MC's and calipers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts