Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old tank with old chopper paint on it that i want to save.
the clear coat on it is damn near gone.
my question is this:
i believe its old laquer paint. after wet sanding the tank lightly,is it ok to spray urethane clear on it,even though it's a laquer paint?
iv'e heard both "yes" and "no" on this subject.
i dont want to end up ruining the paint on it. want to make sure i get it right the first time around.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Can you still get Lacquer in your area? If not yes you can spray some Urethane clears over Lacquer. the one I use is DAU-75 clear from PPG. It's designed to go over just about anthing. wood,allum.,etc.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you still get Lacquer in your area? If not yes you can spray some Urethane clears over Lacquer. the one I use is DAU-75 clear from PPG. It's designed to go over just about anthing. wood,allum.,etc.
im not sure if i can. im new to this area,but i do appreciate your info.
gonna call today and see if they carry that here.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think im going to try with the TCPglobal. i feel more comfortable spraying a laquer clear on a laquer paint job. dont want any surprises.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Duplicolor makes an acrylic Lacquer clear that comes pre-mixed and ready to spray in quarts for $16.00. I saw it at the local Bumper to Bumper, never shot it so I can't give you any pointers, but I was surprized to see any Lac. sold in my area.

Another option is clear enamel, build it up slowly to avoid runs. Ive used 1-Shot sign clear sprayed through a gun over old Lac. job to preserve the art that was on the tank. It worked, let it dry over night.

And like KAYJOHN said, we can always go with Urethane.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Nick. much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have an old tank with old chopper paint on it that i want to save.
the clear coat on it is damn near gone.
my question is this:
i believe its old laquer paint. after wet sanding the tank lightly,is it ok to spray urethane clear on it,even though it's a laquer paint?
iv'e heard both "yes" and "no" on this subject.
i dont want to end up ruining the paint on it. want to make sure i get it right the first time around.
thanks in advance.
Urethane over lacquer is no problem as long as the lacquer is fully dried. I would scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad, and apply an adhesion promoter, then apply the urethane.

I would definitely not apply more lacquer clear. It can cause crazing (shattering) when applied over very old lacquer, and it's not fuel proof.

Yes, DAU75 is compatible, but so are any other catalyzed acrylic urethanes. I know this because DAU75 is not a very good looking clear, I wondered if I could use something better, I checked directly with PPG about Deltron and other catalyzed urethanes with a manufacturers representative.

Spray-Max 2K works and looks great, and is very convenient for mc parts btw.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Urethane over lacquer is no problem as long as the lacquer is fully dried. I would scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad, and apply an adhesion promoter, then apply the urethane.
cool man.
yeah...i think this paint is dry....since like 1969. lol!
thats good to know man. thank you.

trying to upload a photo of said chopper tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts