Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set front street bars and with the acme springer they are bolted to, they are not tall enough for the grips to not hit the tank with the forks turned lock to lock. so i have some options, 1 make a new set now that i have a tig or make these taller. Here's how I'm thinking of making them taller. take a 1/2 inch bolt that is 2 inches long and cut the head off. thread it into the existing bars then make up a spacer out of the same size bar stock and weld a 1/2 inch bung into each end. this will allow me to thread one end snug up to the existing bars and butt weld it. then the other end with 1/2 inch bungs to mount to the top clamp.
Thoughts?:eek::p

·
Registered
710 Posts
The threads are unnecessary.make your extensions from the same size tubing with a hole on each side top and bottom to rosette weld a ppiece of bar stock that sticks out each end. Cut your bars and do the same on each side of the cut. Make sure to chamfer the edges of each joint. And weld around the bars in the grooves. No easy way to do a nice job. I recommend making a fixture to keep everything square and straight. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Cheap; bar stock drilled for bolt size use longer bolts to go thru spacers to bars. More $ machine shop spacers tapped @ both ends use studs and locktite to connect to bars, bolts to tree. Or find 2 anythings ( try garage sales flea markets find anything that catches your eye ) cut to length leaving both ends true and square and thru drill with longer bolts, doing this will cool out your dutchmen..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.