Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in having some parts chromed, but am weighing the cost versus just making them out of stainless instead, I found threads discussing where to send it, but i need to get a general idea of what I can expect to pay. For example what is a fair price to chrome a raw sissy bar, 30" tall, or a set of handlebars, etc. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys :D!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cost will probably differ from shop to shop, call around and get some quotes and go from there. Shouldn't be much to chrome a sissy bar and some handlebars though.

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
Cost will probably differ from shop to shop, call around and get some quotes and go from there. Shouldn't be much to chrome a sissy bar and some handlebars though.
Yeah definately get some prices, shouldn't be that bad.

Chrome is easy to maintain. Stainless would probably need to be cleaned up from time to time, unless you electroplate it.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Yeah definately get some prices, shouldn't be that bad.

Chrome is easy to maintain. Stainless would probably need to be cleaned up from time to time, unless you electroplate it.
Didn't you mean that the other way around? :D

Chrome does look cool, but eventually...down the road, sometime, someplace it will pit and/or peel.

Now stainless...polish that up, and she's shiny for a looong time.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A small set of z-bars last time I did a set was $120 to copper, nickel and chrome. That's a top of the line show job.

I had a set of 18" stainless apes polished for $75.

I figure a sissy bar like that would be about the same costs due to shape.

The more complex and more tabs and such cost will increase. It's a tricky thing to estimate sometimes. Not always a matter of surface area. But generally I found it's 1/2 the price to polish a well made stainless part then it is to chrome a well made steel part due the amount of chemical and cathode/anodes and the polish in between each step.

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts

Chrome does look cool, but eventually...down the road, sometime, someplace it will pit and/or peel.

I think chrome holds up better and is less maintenance. Yeah it'll wear down over the years, but I'd rather chrome than to have to polish stainless from time to time. I'm just really lazy :D.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As always labor is the killer when paying the bill. If you take the time to do all your own polishing the bill will be a lot cheaper. I had forks, sissy bar, axle plates, coil over spring, and a cam lever done for a little over 3 bills.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I think chrome holds up better and is less maintenance. Yeah it'll wear down over the years, but I'd rather chrome than to have to polish stainless from time to time. I'm just really lazy :D.
every time I get something chrome I'm disappointed, quality just doesn't hit the mark anymore like old chromed products from years ago

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stainless is pretty cheap, and you can polish it yourself. I recently got 6' of 1/2" round stock for a sissy bar, and some 3/4" stock for bungs, and it was less than $20 total.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Who else is old enough to have seen a top of the line blue chrome job??
Had a gorgeous blue tint but it was added to chrome alloy not done with heat, looks awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts