Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about buying a tool set and box on egay..i have only used the good old adjustable,and was wondering if they rest of this stuff is worth a shit?
this is the set im looking at

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
Why not just go down to your local Sears? Sears always has sales going on, and you can just go trade in broken tools whenever you want.

I do have some Crescent tools, and they seem to be ok.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i go into sears,i will end up buying more than i need..which would probaly be a 400pc mechanics set or something haha.i probaly should do that,but i cant afford it..

·
Registered
377 Posts
TriumphSoCal said:
I dunno about the tools but those organizer trays for the drawers are sweet.
I'm with trent, you need to be able to exchange your tools out when they break. Either stanley or craftsman are ok, and garrented for life.

I'm starting to bring home my craftsman from work since I've replaced it all with snap on. I wish I could afford snap on at home too, but not yet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
There's nothing better, FOR THE PRICE, than the craftsman stuff at sears. If you buy from ebay and you break your shit, what are you going to do? There are Sears everywhere. It's very nice to be able to walk in with broken shit and walk out with replacements without the hassle.

They've probably got something similar to that set for a decent price.
Just exercise the frugal part of your brain when you walk in there.
Thats what i have to do when i go grocery shopping baked out of my gourd. I don't need 4 packages of tollhouse cookies AND 2 half gallons of ice cream!!

:cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sam's and Costco carry the cresent tools. I have a set that a bought when my craftsman stuff was stolen, just to tie me over. They have worked well enough that I haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Also, Costco has a roller toolbox that kicks ass. It is about $600 but it is stainless, roller bearings, strong and has lots of space. I really recommend getting one. If I had the space I would be all over it. A buddy of mine got one for his shop and loves it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Waterloo and Remline make the majority of tool boxes out there.This one is probably a cheap Remline,if I guess.Crescent tools are pretty good.Most of my experience is in the contractor grade type of stuff....spud wrenches and stuff.Built for an ironworker for sure.Not sure about the mass marketed stuff though,I'd be leery about it.I'd probably go with Crapsman first.Good enough for the average guy.I'd stay far away from anything Stanley makes other than tape measures.My dad was a Matco tool guy for 10 years and another 5 with Cornwell (which is a year older than Snap On) until he had a heart attack.I know a little something about tools.The best value is SK tools.Never break,warrantied like hell and don't cost like the big boys made them.If you do buy a cheap Craftsman kit....do yourself a favor and buy an SK or MAC ratchet.The Sears crap breaks if you look at it funny.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have Craftsman and a small set of Cresent. I have had only one problem with the Cresent. A small screw on the head of the ratchet came out. Luckily I found it as it happened. Now I just check them periodically. Other than that no problems. If it is a good price I say go for it. Craftsman can easliy be replaced by going to a local Sears when they break. Oh yeah...I heard Sears bought out K-Mart and Craftsman will be sold in K-Marts soon.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thats what i have to do when i go grocery shopping baked out of my gourd. I don't need 4 packages of tollhouse cookies AND 2 half gallons of ice cream!!
Weeeeeeee Heeeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeeee. Funny!

Also be very careful when buying shit from Sears. They package things in real tricky ways. You can get great deals if you compare, as an example, screwdriver sets. A 10 pc. may be 19.99 on one shelf, but a 15 pc. will be same price on a different shelf.
And no I 'm not comparing Craftsman with the Sears house brand of tools.

One time I thought I was buying a 30 pc. Philips and Standard screwdriver set only to realize long after throwing the box away that I bought a 30 pc. Standard set. Got lots of regular and one fuckin' Philips in my box.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
unless that crescent tool box/kit is ultra cheap or the guy on ebay is offering free shipping i would pass. shipping is prolly another 30 bucks or more.
like most everyone said get a decent craftsman set. theres a sears everywhere.
no one else brought it up, but home depot-husky tools are decent and affordable. price wise comparable to craftsman and have a lifetime warrenty. i think they're made by snap-on/blue-point.
the only problem i've found with husky is their 1/4 inch sockets. they dont have the dimple inside so they wanna slip off the ratchet. that was a few years ago, so they mite have changed that design.

·
Registered
936 Posts
rev616 said:
if i go into sears,i will end up buying more than i need..which would probaly be a 400pc mechanics set or something haha.i probaly should do that,but i cant afford it..
I don't know about that ( :) ), but right now the are having a sale of a 263 piece mechanic set for 149.99. I was thinking of getting it just to have an extra set. Trading in tools is the next best thing since the pocket pussy.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
sears so when you have to "modify" a tool to make it work in a pinch, you can take it to the store and get a new one thats not bent and grinded like a pretzel.

I go to fleamarkets and get the 1$ sockets that are crafstman, then if they are bad i just take them back to the store and get shiney ones.

i use snap-on, or mac for all my specialty heavy duty tools when i need to like torque wrenches, pullers, etc. but everything else is craftsman or craftsman professional.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a couple of Crescent socket sets that were made some time ago.I don't know where they are made now(probably overseas)but they used to be made in Jamestown New York.

My aunt lived there up until a couple of years ago and she gave me the tools my uncle used to have when she moved.He died in 1960 so I guess they go back a ways. Good quality.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Actually it's kinda funny we mention Crescent.Before they moved to Jamestown,NY....they were made in Leetonia,OH,which is my buds shop that he bought about 8 years ago.I'll try and swing by and take a pic of the old logo in the next day or two.I don't know the entire history,but that's the word on the street.

Jimmy D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts