Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few years ago on the way home from sturgis i met a dude riding a bmw on a lap around the lower 48. he showed me a small bottle, about the size of an old fashioned thermos bottle, that he kept gasoline in. it was packed in his saddle bags with his clothes and he said it could even be put into a suitcase if you had a mind to. somehow it never leaked and didn't need a vent. seems like it had a bladder in it for expansion, but maybe i just dreamed that.

i'm about tired of the mental stress of worrying whether i'll make the next gas station or not after realizing that at the last station i didn't return the petcock to the normal position and now i'm about outta gas.

anyone know about these bottles & where to get one? i'd like to put one down in the bottom of the saddle bags and keep whats left of my sanity.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
im all about smaller tanks.... use a freakin water bottle, LLOLL... ive seen it done bnefore..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've seen them on E-Bay and I heard St.Paul Harley Davidson has them also...

atch said:
a few years ago on the way home from sturgis i met a dude riding a bmw on a lap around the lower 48. he showed me a small bottle, about the size of an old fashioned thermos bottle, that he kept gasoline in. it was packed in his saddle bags with his clothes and he said it could even be put into a suitcase if you had a mind to. somehow it never leaked and didn't need a vent. seems like it had a bladder in it for expansion, but maybe i just dreamed that.

i'm about tired of the mental stress of worrying whether i'll make the next gas station or not after realizing that at the last station i didn't return the petcock to the normal position and now i'm about outta gas.

anyone know about these bottles & where to get one? i'd like to put one down in the bottom of the saddle bags and keep whats left of my sanity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
atch said:
a small bottle, about the size of an old fashioned thermos bottle, that he kept gasoline in. it was packed in his saddle bags with his clothes and he said it could even be put into a suitcase if you had a mind to. somehow it never leaked and didn't need a vent.
PM Flatironmike, he had a couple of those on El Diablo Run.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ryno - thanx for reading and responding, but that's not really the answer i was looking for.

long rides aren't a problem. my butt can't ride as far as a tank of gas will go anyway. so the tank size is irrelevant. it's when you park the scoot some night and then don't ride it for a couple of days...

then you take off on it without realizing it was just about empty when you got home in a fog 3 nights ago...

and then you're in a panic an hour later when you're 30 miles from the nearest gas station and you're about empty.

that's what i'm trying to avoid.

51rat - i'm not jazzed on the idea of a water bottle filled with gas in the bottom of my saddle bag. i guess it would work, though. what would expansion/contraction do to one of those? i'm supposing you're talking about the plastic bottles bicyclists use.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/St-Paul-Harley-Davidson-20-oz-Spare-Fuel-Bottle_W0QQitemZ4624845769QQcategoryZ35563QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

atch said:
ryno - thanx for reading and responding, but that's not really the answer i was looking for.

long rides aren't a problem. my butt can't ride as far as a tank of gas will go anyway. so the tank size is irrelevant. it's when you park the scoot some night and then don't ride it for a couple of days...

then you take off on it without realizing it was just about empty when you got home in a fog 3 nights ago...

and then you're in a panic an hour later when you're 30 miles from the nearest gas station and you're about empty.

that's what i'm trying to avoid.

51rat - i'm not jazzed on the idea of a water bottle filled with gas in the bottom of my saddle bag. i guess it would work, though. what would expansion/contraction do to one of those? i'm supposing you're talking about the plastic bottles bicyclists use.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like 3 of us were typing at the same time. i'll make those contacts. thanx.

·
Registered
773 Posts
atch...just hassling you man...:D

*edit to add...you can pick up those fuel bottles, (like the red one with the harley logo on it) at REI, EMS, or any other place that sells outdoor camping gear.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
atch said:
he showed me a small bottle, about the size of an old fashioned thermos bottle, that he kept gasoline in. it was packed in his saddle bags with his clothes .
I used a red plastic (hardware store) in a bag or on a bungi (had to put the fireworks somewhere) for a 1k round trip worked fine - next long trip 1 qt of 6owt, spare primary chain, spare plugs, 1/2 gal of gas, points and condenser for mag., spare throttle cable, and kicker spring... and lets not to forget, my ever inportannt ball sack, hell with enuff gas stations, and a little extra just in case; should get to china and back if I had those new 400 tires mounted on my 45"

looks fucked up for pictures though -

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hey, Andy, Atch. On the Mule, I used two 22 oz spun aluminum bottles with o-ring screw tops, made by MSR designed as camping fuel storage. I picked 'em up at the local Sports Authority, in the camping section. I mounted a couple of bicycle water bottle brackets from the bike dept. at the same Sports Authority. They fit together perfectly and worked really well.

Hope this helps!

MC

Oh, yeah - the bottles were $9.99 each and the brackets were $6.99 each - such a deal!

bendpress said:
PM Flatironmike, he had a couple of those on El Diablo Run.

·
Registered
618 Posts
great tip!

http://www.sportsauthority.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=fuel bottle

Flatironmike said:
Hey, Andy, Atch. On the Mule, I used two 22 oz spun aluminum bottles with o-ring screw tops, made by MSR designed as camping fuel storage. I picked 'em up at the local Sports Authority, in the camping section. I mounted a couple of bicycle water bottle brackets from the bike dept. at the same Sports Authority. They fit together perfectly and worked really well.

Hope this helps!

MC

Oh, yeah - the bottles were $9.99 each and the brackets were $6.99 each - such a deal!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm in the ol' habit that when I jump on the bike the cap comes off ...

The mileage on my shovel was so bad, I thought about mounting a tiny Moon tank ( knock off cap of course ) on removable brackets off the struts over the rear fender for long road trips .... Scraped that Idea when I re-geared her .... Camp stove bottle was the ticket ...

atch said:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stopped at a camping supply store yesterday and picked up one of these aluminum bottles designed to hold extra coleman fuel, etc.

filled it with gas and left the couple inches of air at the top per instructions on the outside of the bottle.

put it inside a zip lock baggie.

put it inside another zip lock baggie.

put it inside a 3rd zip lock baggie.

put it down in the bottom of one of the saddle bags.

now if i run out i'm not dead in the water.

my mind is more at ease already.

thanx everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This would be great for us two-stoke guys, I had to mix Toro lawn mower oil when I got to reserve tank. Not all gas stations even have two-stoke oil.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts