Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a basket case 1972 Tiger 650 OIF. The previous owner had a set of push over drag pipes on it with unthreaded spigots in the head, held in place with a small screw from the head down into the spigot. I don't need to tell you how easily this all came undone in my hands.

I've heard the horror stories of the threads inside the head being worn smooth from loose spigots, and I've heard that Triumph went to push in pipes at some point before regretting the idea and going back to screw in.

The exhausts openings in my heads are smooth, making me think 72 OIF's were push in pipes, but if anyone can confirm/deny this I would appreciate it.

As an aside, if they are push in, how do they stay in the head without falling out? Its not like there's a clamp like on spigot heads.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
'72 had push in pipes. you can get a push in adapter to run 1 3/4 pipes, but they are still push in. you may be able to find someone to cut some cutting threads on them and use it to tap the head. Somewhere there was a place making aluminum adapters that you could weld in.

·
Registered
362 Posts
K the early 72s had screw in and the late 72s had pushin. easy way to tell is the rocker boxes. early ones have the two seperate screw in rocker caps and the late model ones had the oval style caps. 72 was a transition year last year for 650 and first year for 5 speed (only in the late models) a bunch of other quirkey things too like the intakes were different from early to late on the bonnevilles and another unfindable part in the early bonnevilles angling the carbs level (I have a set) also lets not forget about the transmission having the "leaf spring" only used in 71 and 72 including the late 72 5 speeds. You would also note on the early 72 rocker boxes that the valves could be adjusted by removing a small hex plug on the side of the rocker box.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine has the screw in spigots as well as the oval rocker caps, leaf spring (since changed to plunger by me) AND it's a high seat model. Mine is a "Domestic model with breadbin tank and elongated front fender all stock.

They were throwing all knidsa combos out at that time. Like the proverbial "Box of chocolates"

TD

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW, Triumph changed the head to push-in at engine # XG42304, that is Dec. 1971(1972 model year). Also the 5-speed was first offered in April 1971(1971 model year). Jack
Time to go check my engine number, maybe I've got a five speed too, never checked, just assumed it was four.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ALS, the 5-speed bikes had a V added to the model #, as in T-120RV. Kind of rare, but I have personally worked on 3 (1971 models) over the years. 1972 models are much more common,but still a nice option. Jack

·
Registered
726 Posts
"As an aside, if they are push in, how do they stay in the head without falling out? Its not like there's a clamp like on spigot heads."

the push in pipes rely on the correct mounting points [both frame and front of the engine] and , more importantly, the crossover tube between the pipes, forward of the ports. once the pipes were mounted and fully inserted, THEN the crossover tube would be tighten`d. the pipes were then "locked" into the "V" of the ports and can go nowhere.
i prefer this method to repair the bodged screw-in spicots to welding in alum spicots or cutting "pipe threads" into the heads for custom made oversized spicots....unless a very high grade alum [60 series or better] is used, after a few heat cycles/hitork attempts at securing your pipes w/out the proper brackets,,,,you end up with an exhaust spicot thats a little smaller OD than you need and a little longer than it started!
the custom "self threading" spicots also seem a real half-hearted attempt unless you actually have the correct "bottom tap" to put threads there.......
i prefer to convert to the "drawbolt" system using a stainless turnbuckle i`v been getting at the marine hardware store....i open up the clamps to accept the eyes of the turnbuckle,push the pipes in tight and tighten the exhaust clamps....then snug up the turnbuckle and lock with the locking nuts.......holds the pipes in nice and tight and looks pretty good too.....
having said all that, i DO have a head thats had the exhaust ports "heli-coiled" and that works great! but i have never seen that heli-coil or tap available anywhere!
[and i use a LOT of that kinda stuff in my job!]

·
Registered
726 Posts
i will, the digicam i use sux so bad at detail shots that i doupt i could get it...however, i gots this pretty little blond haired/blue eyed Syrian girl [really] coming over to take some good shots of this bike and i`ll get her to shoot the turnbuckle assembly whilist she`s here!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i will, the digicam i use sux so bad at detail shots that i doupt i could get it...however, i gots this pretty little blond haired/blue eyed Syrian girl [really] coming over to take some good shots of this bike and i`ll get her to shoot the turnbuckle assembly whilist she`s here!
Kllrjo: I'm dying here, when you get a chance post those pics, interested how your system looks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.