Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered this about bikes, I just never remembered to ask. Why is is that if you want to move the bike left, like when changing lanes, you pull back on the right grip? It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone explain why this hapens? Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bugman said:
I've always wondered this about bikes, I just never remembered to ask. Why is is that if you want to move the bike left, like when changing lanes, you pull back on the right grip? It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone explain why this hapens? Thanks.
Above 12-15 MPH, .....gyroscopic precession, where the input to the wheel (forks, handlebars) produces a reaction 90 degrees later.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Has something to do with that when you pull the bars the bike will tend to lean instead of turning the tire 'cause the tire is rolling and wants to keep going straight. It's some kind of gyroscope effect or something. That's why you lean to turn at speed. I stopped trying to figure that one out a long time ago. It just does is good enough for me anymore. I know, I know. I suck and was absolutley no help. You can punch me in the face when you find me. MIKE.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Take a bicycle wheel and hold onto the axle. Have a buddy spin the wheel and then try to tilt it over. You'll find that it turns itself even though you're just titling it. Gyroscopic effect. Same reason you won't fall over as long as you're moving at a reasonable speed (and you aren't a dumbass).

·
Registered
98 Posts
It would be easier to remember to push against the left grip to turn left and "vice-versa". Basically applying forward pressure on the left grip, (or pulling on the right), forces the bike to lean to the left and thus turning left.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's becoming clear to me now...

:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't only rely on pulling, put your body on the inside of the turn. Course some of you nuts on low bikes would probably shave the wallet off your ass if you did that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you "push" gently while riding slowly the bike goes the opposite way. Its freaky, but then we all know how to ride, right? TK.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
How about under shifting (going down two or three gears when you should only go down one) to put the wheel into a torque lock then promptly hammering the gas to induce a controlled slide around a corner, ala Supermotard. I can do it on dirt but guys who do that stuff on asphalt blow my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts