Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

What is the general consensus about sturdiness and useability of triumph pre unit transmissions ?

In modernising an older bike would such a transmission be a good move ?

I'm thinking pre war single pot engine and T110-120 transmission for example.

Would benefit from footshift and 4 speed, and, main idea, but I'm not sure of, hence my asking, sturdiness/precision/"comfort" ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah, they are good, if a preeunit trans can take the HP and torq of a knuckle head, then you should have no problem with that pree war single....Roach.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the confirmation

I wasn't really thinking about HP in my case, there won't be much there ;)

but I want to use this ride as much as possible when it's done and I'm sure a sketchy stiff tranny will kill the pleasure :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK

The bike is going to be used primarily in town, so lots of lights, crossroads etc.

Hence the idea of a nice useable trans.

If it were a country cruiser I'd probably just keep it stock with hand shift by the tank :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Brit gearboxes have been the hot set-up for years when mated to Harley 45 engines, that never had a footshift trans of their own. "Victory" even sells a handbook on it.

The transmissions were among the strong points of the old Brit bikes. Done right, you'll love an old Brit four-speed connected to your engine, I'm sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.