Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Compu-Fire has afew versions. I used the early version quite abit when building non-magneto bikes. I liked them. Easy to install with the built in LED timming light and magnet. For kick only bikes, they only require a small battery. As with anything "electronic" and small, you can get bad units that can leave you stranded. Carry some extra points. With the early compu-fire, you will retain your advance weights, so popping in a set of points is a breeze. Another plus for the compu-fire.

Sixball

·
Registered
250 Posts
never had any problems with mine in the last 4 years,,, The first one i installed crapped out in a week but they were good to deal with an sent another unit right out to me (free!)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Points are my choice. Keep a spare set in the saddlebags. I think most of them are old and rusty. But then, these are my bikes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ditto points for me on an old street bike. I can keep a new set on the bike and replace if necessary. Carrying a spare Electronic Ignition for the day it fails is impractical. Besides, the points will run when the charging system is on it's last legs; the electronic will not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Some of the compufire systems had a plastic rotor cup with a little plastic tab to fit in the notch of the cam for timing. I've seen these tabs break and cause weird timing issues. Other than that...I've put dozens on with almost no trouble. If cranking the engine over with the spark plug wires disengaged the plug wires should be grounded or the module can be damaged. They stand behind their product as well with good tech support. Simple

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.