Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked in the appropriate parts manuals and such, but I can't seem to find diagrams showing how all the pieces of the stock oil tank, support tray, mounting bracket, and spacers/fasteners/locktabs all go together on a 58-64 drop-seat frame.

I also can't seem to locate anything showing how all the pieces/parts of the standard 36-64 transmission mounting kit are properly assembled.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sure I could make everything fit, just don't want to do something not-smart, ya'know...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I looked at my parts books, but only have the lunchbox oil tank drawings...

I'm not familiar with that setup, but spacers under the front lip of the battery tray go onto the mounts on the rear side of the seatpost. These should be tapped, so washer on the top. Other spacers between the trans plate and the rear battery tray bracket with the curved portion facing up and towards your fender/tire.

I can't really say on the transmission plate, other than your transmission mounts are tapped and by working your way around should help you figure out which go where.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like you are missing the finger plate (strap)that the tranny adjusting screw (thats the long one) fits (Lays in ) for the tranny stuff. 4 bolts hold the tranny plate down , and two bolts hold the finger plate (strap that insn't shown) on the back of the tranny mount. Front two bolts go thru the plate and thru the casting that is on the back of the rear motor mount behind the seat post. The next two thread (if memory serves correct) into the rear part of the frame. Then the last two hold down the adjuster strap for the adjuster screw. Also note the tranny has 4 studs to hold it down on the plate, but there is a fifth bolt that is kind of an outrigger bolt. This boss is behind the brake crossover shaft on a hardtail. Let the flaming begin!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The four cyllindrical spacers go under the plate that goes beneath the oil storage tank. One typically falls off during installation and rolls under the workbench. All the bolts on the oil tank go in from the top (the bolt head sits on top). That long spacer mounting thing bolts to the frame with the long side on the frame and the opening faces rearward.
The tranny mounting plate gets bolted to the frame and the tranny slides backwards and forwards on the plate in order to adjust the primary chain.

You gotta figure on doing everything three times at least when building your bike so if you try a couple of times you will get it right.
You are right my 61 and later parts book does not have much of a diagram on this. I was going to take pictures but that area of my bike is heavily covered with grease so the pics would be of very low quality. If you really need them will get of my duff to help a brother out so LMK.
Doug

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh and one more thing. If you get your mounting kits from Old Dude or Colony they are really comprehensive and of high quality.
Looks like most of those parts there are aftermarket and sometimes they just do not work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and one more thing. If you get your mounting kits from Old Dude or Colony they are really comprehensive and of high quality.
Looks like most of those parts there are aftermarket and sometimes they just do not work.
The fasteners I have are Colony, I just grabbed representative pics from the interwebs.

With your guys' help I've got the oil tank/tray/bracket sussed out.

Haven't had a chance yet to figure out the whole "2 castle nuts" thing on the plate yet, so if anyone has any advice before the weekend, that'd be great.

Thanks again!

Z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
look at what he HAS got , 4 nuts 5 washers 7 spring washers 2 castles + pins for god knows.??
That's how the set comes. I assume some things are for some years and models of frame/transmission case, and others not. That's kinda why I'm asking. I'm looking at mounting on a drop-seat swingarm frame.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
On a stock factory set-up (pre e start) the front tranny plate bolts go in from the bottom up with the drilled bolts, lock washers, castle nuts and cotter pins. They always went up (same as front engine mount bolts) and were easy to see if they were missing! Late style tranny plates have threaded fron holes and do not use the castle nuts.
There are four spacers on the oil tank, two in the front between the frame mount and the bottom of the battery plate, and two in the back between the battery plate and the bracket that bolts on the swingarm bosses.
Robbie

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Why don't you post pics and share with others?

Jason

The fasteners I have are Colony, I just grabbed representative pics from the interwebs.

With your guys' help I've got the oil tank/tray/bracket sussed out.

Haven't had a chance yet to figure out the whole "2 castle nuts" thing on the plate yet, so if anyone has any advice before the weekend, that'd be great.

Thanks again!

Z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As usual I forgot my camera before heading out to the mancave.

I did get the oil tank mounted up. Notice in the pics in the first post there's 4 spacers with the fastener kit and two with the rear bracket. Well, that's two extra. No wonder I was so confuzzleated. Looks like with the tray though I'm not going to be able to use my turtle-top transmission. Not enough clearance. So I'm thinking about jettisoning the tray and getting one of the Paughco tanks with the integral battery tray.

Now I'm still having issues with the transmission plate. I can get the front positions fastened down with the drilled bolts and castle nuts, though there's not enough length to the bolts to allow for one of these like in this other thread here

:

My problem is with the rear bolts. WTF are they supposed to screw into? The standing bungs/bosses on this frame are smooth-bored. No threads. Is that right?

Z

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. These look like they may have been bored out for some reason. The holes go clear through.

Can those be helicoiled, or is the trans mount too high-stress of an area?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.