Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, in a nutshell; after riding cone shovel's for about 15 yrs. and finally selling the last one in 2001 to finance a '50 Ford Kustom it was time to wake up.
Last April (2010) 2 buddies of mine convinced me to get back on 2 wheels again,
one of 'm gave me a '21 Avon for my birthday and things took off from there..

In the months that followed I gathered a '47 frame, a primary case and a Ebay score GME tank, then you have this;

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next I found an already rebuild Slick Shift gearbox in the UK and payed for it big time. Note; I have never worked on a Triumph before, let alone a pre-unit.
You learn from your mistakes and I learned later that gearbox wouldn´t fit my rigid frame !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was gonna get all parts one at a time since I didn´t have the funds to buy a complete bike.
A buddy of mine (Flying Dutchman, known here on the board) sold me a NOS Barnes spoolhub and I had it laced up in a 21' front wheel, next came
a Avon MKII rear tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right Dr. Benway, also known as Bonebreaker since it's assumingly the only bird that also eats the bones from his prey (obviously).
I thought the rigid frame in combination with years of chronical back-problems summed it up nicely :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then the project came to a halt, it already took me four months to get this far, I figured I wasn't gonna drive this thing within' the next decennium..

I saved up a little, worked some extra hours and along came a '56 Bonnie in the local ads, the price was right and a ton of parts came with it;

The engine suffered from a sludge trap and had stalled while doing 60MPH,
the owner didn't want it anymore, back on it's feet it looked like this;

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
ah, thats exactly what you need right now, all the rest of the bike!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine cases we're gone, the magneto, one broken conrod, cracked cylinder and so on;

But with the donor rear wheel and a set of loose fit forks my project looked like something I had in mind :(

Among the parts we're a set of T110 engine cases in pretty decent shape.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I glass bead blasted them and put them in the oven; something I read in the newly aquired 'Triumph Restoration Book' :) but worked great !

Now I'm not gonna brag about how I build the new engine because I don't have the skills nor the tools to do this; I found a really nice old geezer who's been into pre-units only for the past 30 yrs.
Although I did take apart, cleaned, blasted, checked, hand polished all shiny bits and helped in the buildup, one has to cough up some dough to come to this;

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A buddy of mine in the UK took some parts to the chromers for me and after waiting about 6 months :( to get them back (no kidding) I finally put the new engine it the frame that was patiently waiting at home;

It may all look like this is coming together nicely but this almost took a year to get to this point, I mismatched engine plates, bought about 10 top and bottom yokes (triple trees) and still didn't have a matching set, completely blasted and rebuild an aluminium head only to discover after completion it was a 500cc :( and so on...but so far this build has been great !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But wait, I'm rushing things;
Here's another mockup fase while waiting for cash and parts; the GME tank dropped down and a set of 70's Ducati forks with hand-shaved lower legs.

That's all for now, I'll post some more pics later, thanks for looking.
Hairy

·
Registered
790 Posts
looks great soo far,and good to hear i'm not the only one getting pungsparkar

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That's what I did too, lots of hands-on fun and learning, without all the "motor-fall-apart-explode" problems.

Now I'm not gonna brag about how I build the new engine because I don't have the skills nor the tools to do this; I found a really nice old geezer who's been into pre-units only for the past 30 yrs.
Although I did take apart, cleaned, blasted, checked, hand polished all shiny bits and helped in the buildup, one has to cough up some dough to come to this;

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bob, that's valuable information ! Someone on the Triumphrat broke down the frame no. for me and told me it was a 47 ? Who can yo thrust these days haha
Guess I made the right choice moving here:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's move on with the carbs, the old ones we're beyond repair, like most of the donor bike actually, all bolts, threads, and any other part that could be turned loose was fucked up, bad case of using the wrong tools !

I bought a new Amal carb and polished it as well as the intake;

This proves Bob earlier frame identification right 'cuz even the original rubber tube didn't match up the hole in the frame, an SU carb could have fit better here...(not that I know of because I don't have an SU).

I changed my mind shortly after that when I ran into a set of Maund Racing intakes.

I aquired a second Amal and polished the shit out of it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rockerboxes and timing cover had that treatment already earlier, I like polishing !

I like to leave a small scratch or dimple in the polished parts because I don't want it too look like it is a newly bought part, it's 60+ years old and I like it when it shows (and I'm too lazy to go 'all the way').

The new setup looked like this;

You probably noticed the same thing as I did, a non-symmetrical set-up..
aarghh, I've got a lot to learn !

I now found a set of BSA carbs (used ones) left and right, but they're probably too big for my 650 engine since they came off a 750 (so I've been told).

Shi-eit, I gotta go now, more later...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.