Jockey Journal Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Or make a new one from steel
Paint it silver
Do away with knob and put a damper on stanchion
I don't know when they came on race bikes ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Some updates on a very long ongoing project. Admins helped get me back into my old account.

Not exactly sure where to start, last post was quite a while ago and lots of slow but steady work has been done since. Can say for absolute certainty this project has been nothing short of a challenge (nightmare would be more accurate), but relieved the headache is almost over.

Was able to get the bike started last weekend after about 5 or 6 years and now close to being in riding condition. It's very loud...the neighbors are not pleased.

Some fresh photos.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am very happy to find this thread twitching into life again. And as I'm sure everybody understands, making and keeping me happy is the JJ's whole point. Many thanks, Greasepit, for setting a good example.

The bike's profile (top line) is beautiful, exactly right-looking, as others have observed. ... Hey, maybe if the bottom line of the seat and that of the tank appear precisely parallel, the visual effect will be of a single (staggered) forceful horizontal, and will look as perfect (and perfectly function-dictated) as the top line. Er, um. If you see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
looking good, will it do the Ton?
(i see you got the BNR and a PWK carb any other tuning?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
... Hey, maybe if the bottom line of the seat and that of the tank appear precisely parallel, the visual effect will be of a single (staggered) forceful horizontal.
I agree, lines can make or break a project. The seat bottom is close to inline with the front half of the tank, lifting it up a bit more would need redoing of the seat brackets... going to leave that for a future date.

looking good, will it do the Ton?
(i see you got the BNR and a PWK carb any other tuning?
Thanks. Factory road tests for the '56 Super Meteor model (under "favorable" conditions) could reach it, engine has been reworked to squeeze every bit of power possible...

Swapped in a '58 crank fitted with Hitchcocks 7075 rods, Omega +.060" forged 8:1 pistons, ported heads and shaved .030" to bump compression, twin VM32 Mikuni carbs, Megacycle 550x1 race cams, R/D valve springs, chromoly push rods, 1-5/8" exhaust.

About 40lbs were shaved from factory weight specs, this was the real time consuming obsession down to the aluminum motor mounts, smaller 520vx3 chain/alloy rear sprocket, and thin-wall chromoly centerstand.

Reactions: Goldy

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Fantastic Nice Work.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Not much to update, been focusing on finishing the tank with the hopes of having enough of the bike together for a shake down run around the block sometime this weekend; list of tasks is getting short.

Keeping a steady pace, not rushing and turning out garbage, is a burden on its own knowing the lighting at the end of the tunnel is so near. My skills in the fabrication department are bit lacking making a tank and rusty overall, still slowly coming together bit by bit. Knee panels are on, still have to add a cutout for the tank strap and filler neck, think I'll leave the final finishing for later.

Could use some advice....
Want to mount the oil cooler horizontally instead of vertically (not sure if vertically will drain and overfill the oil tank), any ideas on bracketry or modifications? MK1 Interceptors has an option to fit a factory cooler that bolts to the front engine mounts and sits between the exhaust pipes. Open to any / all suggestions.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You spent some dollars why not look for another more suitable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hitchcock's sells an OEM copy, but they ain't cheap.
Some of the Buells had a vertical oil cooler, so it might not be a problem anyway.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It wasn't uncommon in the 1970s to repurpose automobile power steering fluid coolers -- absolutely basic single-loop things with fins -- as engine oil coolers on Harley and British customs and flat track bikes. I don't think I ever saw one that was not run vertically. Also don't know how effective they were, but that's a different topic.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Would prefer to use the one I have, been modified with 1/4g threads to match Enfield oil line fittings and don't mind modding it a bit more, plus was pretty inexpensive. Since resurrecting the project couple years ago most costs, other than having to buy another crankshaft and miscellaneous bits, has been somewhat neutral by selling off a bunch of old parts, it's time to save what I can for the next project in queue.

These engines have an integral dry sump tank sitting behind the crank, when mounting I didn't take into account vertical placement as half of the cooler sits above the tank, wasn't sure if gravity would overflow the tank then spilling excess into the timing chest; will run it vertical if this isn't an issue. Oil lines have length to work either way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
After what seems like forever was finally able to take the bike out for a short trip around the neighborhood, felt stable, smooth, and nimble. Felt really good to be back on two wheels even for a shakedown.

Made a few cable adjustments, leaned the carbs, added some sealant to the oil pump cover gaskets; gonna try for another run today before it gets too hot.

Fuel tank is still not finished but good enough to ride with.

Added a strap cut-out and monza cap

Lower tank mounts (needs a bit of reinforcement)

Remainder of the to-do list:
  • Finish gas tank
  • Add front chain guard
  • Tool box cover
  • Mount alloy front fender (from Clubman Racing RIP)
  • Raise seat / taller brackets as Ratso suggested
  • Convert lever cold-start valves to cable
  • Tach works but doesn't register coil input, gonna try swapping wires
  • Mount belt drive cover

I've studied images of vintage GP bikes from the '50s and early '60s seems like the bike is still missing...something. Heavily inspired by the G45/G50 this was my interpretation of what RE might have produced, minus the lighting and modern ign/carb/oil cooler amenities, as a factory racer. Any suggestions and input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Your bike does a seriously convincing job of looking correct in the terms you mention. Maybe ride the bejesus out of it this season while giving your reservations/misgivings a rest? Some notions, conclusions, etc., might drift to the bottom of your brain pan, coagulate there, and leave you confident about changing x and leaving y alone.

But I've always been struck by the bigness of the change in a bike's looks when the headlight is gone (maybe instruments as well). To my eyes the difference is dramatic, both in the o/a profile and in the vibe. The Norfield sure does look like a '50s, '60s racer -- but like a production-class racer, ready for the Thruxton 500 or similar. In the medium term I'd be thinking about visually minimizing all the street-necessary doodads in the neighborhood of the upper stanchions, top triple clamp, and steering head.

Just what you needed, huh? Another helpful suggestion from the Peanut Gallery.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Not much to report. Been putting some miles on the bike here and there when the weather isn't super hot, carbs on the low end is pretty much sorted....at least from what the plugs say; might reduce timing a bit or swap in a colder set of plugs on standby.

Without an odometer it's difficult to gauge miles ridden and when the break-in period is over. Any tips for breaking a new engine would be helpful, staying under 1/4 throttle and low engine load; in this small window it runs very strong and keeping up with traffic is effortless.

Still working on getting the tachometer working, it functions (needle sweeps + backlight with 12v) just doesn't read the coil, apparently the Electrex World ignition puts out too low of voltage. A rep with Smiths suggested using a Koso signal filter which is similar to an MSD GMR, should be in tomorrow or Monday, we'll see if it works.

Taking it to a local car show in the morning, scratching off a few items off the list.

Hammered out a tool box cover.

Needs a bit more finishing, will hide the wiring for now.

@Ratso - always great to hear feedback. One of these days I'll pull the lights off, maybe slap on some hand-painted number plates for a photo shoot. Goal was to build something that was meant for the track....only running the absolute bare essentials to make it road legal.
Came across a 1952 BSA "Pikes" that definitely inspired a lot on this bike, more I stare at the pic the more I want to change the seat and add a rear fender.

@Ducbsa - Linsdell is brilliant with Enfields, can squeeze an impressive amount of HP from a 500 single, he's got some secrets I'd like to know.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts