Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you could say I officially laid the keel of the project tonight. I got the front end on and the bike on the 60 dollar kragens auto bike lift. This is where it all starts. I've dubbed the project "Scumfuck" as a tribute to my man GG Allin. It just seems fitting. Even though choppers and bobbers pre-date punk rock by a good number of years, to me they are punk rock on wheels.

So here is my humble project.

The sporty tank is on there because it makes it look more like a bike then no tank at all. I plan on runnin fat bobs for a more stock appearence. I want the bike to look like a stripped down FLH (which it sort of is, but really isn't, since the bike didn't come with any sheet metal).

Headlight is a aftermarket hot rod 7" Which I always thought looked shit hot on a wide glide.

Tomorrow I cut the ass end off the frame. Anyone need a perfectly good swingarm? I'm cutting just foreward of the rear tranny mount. You could restore that rigid back to factory specs.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luke Nosewalker said:
I like the sporty tank.
I dig the sporty tank too, but I'm building something more in the spirit of a stripped down 50's bike. I also want a vintage style cop seat (hd still sells em) with a pogo because my back is fucked and I think that would look weird with a small tank.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Voneville, I got a very similar project going on. I will post in another thread not to hijack this one. Mine is staying swing arm. If you need I got a complete set of tins for another FLH, split tanks, you name it. Also I just picked up a real sweet panhead solo pogo seat off Ebay for $114. I will get you the info if you need.

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
Bitchin. Glad you arent running the sporty tank, sporty tanks look good on ... sportsters!

Why cut the back off that frame?? Some shorter shocks and/or move the lower mounts back and presto! you have a sweet bike. Personally I would just use a rigid frame rather than cut the back off your stocker.

At any rate. You will rule with an iron fist (full of shit if you are rocking it GG Allin style).

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
I have experience in cutting the rear off swingarm frames and my humble piece of advice is don't do it unless you have the rear section of a stock frame and a jig.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Voneville said:
So here is my humble project.

Tomorrow I cut the ass end off the frame. Anyone need a perfectly good swingarm? I'm cutting just foreward of the rear tranny mount. You could restore that rigid back to factory specs.
Just forward of the rear tranny mount? I did that to my 78 shvl but the new rear section calls for a cut "AFT" of the rear tranny mount. Are you building your own rear section or buying after market? You know what those crazy carpenters say. "Mesure twice, cut once"
If you want to dbl check a cut and weld job before you cut into yours feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big Nick said:
Voneville, I got a very similar project going on. I will post in another thread not to hijack this one. Mine is staying swing arm. If you need I got a complete set of tins for another FLH, split tanks, you name it. Also I just picked up a real sweet panhead solo pogo seat off Ebay for $114. I will get you the info if you need.
cool, i'm pretty broke right now, but i have some stuff going on ebay soon. i'll pm ya. I could definatley use tanks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fredo said:
Just forward of the rear tranny mount? I did that to my 78 shvl but the new rear section calls for a cut "AFT" of the rear tranny mount. Are you building your own rear section or buying after market? You know what those crazy carpenters say. "Mesure twice, cut once"
If you want to dbl check a cut and weld job before you cut into yours feel free to let me know.
I would love to check out your bike before I do any surgery. I think I had too much caffiene last night and was over excited. Good thing I don't run power tools after 10:00pm!

I'm building my own hardtail, so I plan on cutting all of the cast portion of the frame off. I'm goin to run a piece of rectangle tubing similar to the paughco rigid to mount the tranny plate.

I'm also going to make a Jig once I get my dimensions straight. I measure 4 times before I cut! I also want to make my hardtail pieces before I cut too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided to keep the swingarm. The wife was really bummed when I told her my plans since that would mean she wouldn't ever be able to ride anywhere with me. I'm still adjusting to thinking like a married man even though I've been married three years.

But that doesn't mean I'm pussin out. I still got my 66 bsa rigid. If I ever get around to finishing it :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is my friends bike, it was one of the first "bobber" style bikes I had seen in person. It was built about 6 or 7 years ago. It's what got me wanting a harley. Before that I was mainly interested in british and asian cafe racers. So I thought I would post one of the many sources of inspiration for this project.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll be watching with great interest, as I've been thinking about making some changes to my FL. And yes, I know it's spelled wrong...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bugman said:
I'll be watching with great interest, as I've been thinking about making some changes to my FL. And yes, I know it's spelled wrong...
Haha, cool man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts