Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I had some questions on putting in progressive springs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Do they make a big difference from the stock ones?<o:p></o:p>
I had stock length showa 35mm ironhead forks last year and my front end would wobble at high speeds around corners. (scary as shit)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Now this year I am going 4-6" over stock on the fork tubes. What do I do for spacers? Does anyone make them?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Any input would be great.<o:p></o:p>

Its a ridgid too, if that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Pvc pipe works great for spacers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I guess just a 4 inch piece of pvc on the top of the springs?
Now is there any spacers in the original stock springs??

·
Registered
710 Posts
I use PVC to mock up length, then make them from steel tubing. I know alot of manufacturers use PVC, but I still don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Why not trust pvc? It's really tough, besides that it's lighter than steel, power to weight ratio and all that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
excuse my ignorance....
so progressive springs are stock length, so just make 4 inch spacers for 4 over and 6 inch for 6 over ect..??

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Why not trust pvc? It's really tough, besides that it's lighter than steel, power to weight ratio and all that.
lol,,lighter ,,etc,,you people WAY over think things sometimes,,,not gonna win any races or help anything,,there is no real weight issue involved. Plastic can crack and is not fond of cold weather. Thats a minute or two and a handy lil pipe cutter. maybe 3-4$ for a foot of tubing

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It's been a while since I used Progressive springs, but I think there was a little difference in the length of spacers compared to the length of the overstock tubes. They send instructions with the springs.

It's been a long time since I've seen metal spacers with extended legs. Franks uses PCV pipe.
Larry T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts