Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently mounted a magneto on my 67 shovel and went for my first long ride last week for the Linkert Attacks (France reunion of Old Iron motors).
The morning before leaving I had to clean my carb because no gas was coming to the cylinders. After that it started fine.
The bike idle very well, and revs very good too.
Then, while on the road at high speed, maybe at 3500 or 4000 rpm, I have breaks in the acceleration, with noisy "Bang!" from the motor usually 3 or 4, and then the bike runs again very well for 1 or 2 miles, and again several Bang!
I also noticed that my chrome exhaust changed colors and turned purple, especially near the end of it...

Does it sound like a carb or ignition problem to you guys?
What direction would you look first?

Vins

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an intake leak.
Ok, thanks, I'll look in that direction first.

That what it sounds like ....A leak or super lean carb mix...

If you pull the spark plugs and look at the porcelain....
How white is it...???
What do you mean by: "super lean carb mix" ?

ok, I will take off my plugs and tell you how they look

Elekvins!

Please bubble-test your manifold as discussed at http://virtualindian.11techleaktest.html.

When the manifold proves air-tight, we can go on to other concerns.

Good luck!

...Cotten
Thank you Cotten, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore....:confused:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another way to detect a leak is at idle spray some carb cleaner around the intake seals....If you notice a diff. in the rpm of the motor...Got a leak.
The first test bein' a little difficult right now for me since I don't have the appropriate tools, I'll try this other test first...

What should I expect while sprayin' around the intake seals (if I have a leak) ?
Increase or decrease of the rpm?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok
don't know yet for the plugs, worked all day, could step into the garage (it's midnight here...), hopefully tomorrow

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
clean your carb again then install a inline filter. It is not likely that you suddenly developed a intake leak unless your that bad at wrenching and pulled it loose last time you cleaned the carb. I would also check the screen on the petcock isn't plugged if you have one on it.

·
Banned
700 Posts
... It is not likely that you suddenly developed a intake leak unless your that bad at wrenching and pulled it loose last time you cleaned the carb. ....
Joe!

This year's summer blends are gonna make some sudden intake leaks for a lot of folks.

....Cotten

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Joe!

This year's summer blends are gonna make some sudden intake leaks for a lot of folks.

....Cotten
I have never experienced that but hear what you say. Easy enough for him to check for intake leaks. Still that seems unlikely in this case as he just had to clean his carb and ElekVins said idles good revs good sounds like main circuit to me or gas flow problem with popping and pipes going purple. But it could also be retarded timing, if this was the first time ElekVins ran it hard since the mag install.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you guys nailed it once again ! :)
First of all I went looking for a carburetor cleaner in the auto store, it was for sale in the "performance section" of the shop at 29,90€.
Photobucket
I thought "fuck that it's expensive!"
So I left the store and went to a store for garden where they sell chainsaws and Land mower.... exact same spray, same size, same brand, etc: 11,90€ !!! Bang
Funny
So anyway, I've got a leak at the front cylinder admission pipe, the rpm drop when I spray at idle, and if I spray a lot, I even managed to shut off the engine
Photobucket

What do you guys recommend ?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, thank you, that's my dancing shoes: Dr Marten's 10 holes

I'd love to have the money for an S&S instead of that japanese stuff... maybe some day...

I did put new seals about 1000 miles ago, so I assume they are ok, do they happen to move or something? I'll take the whole thing appart tomorrow, was in a hurry today.

the brace that hold the pipes has this screw and it seems a little weak, maybe this is fucked up, cause I couldn't tighten it stronger...

G

·
Yep, thank you, that's my dancing shoes: Dr Marten's 10 holes

Sounds like ....One for each Toe...

I'd love to have the money for an S&S instead of that japanese stuff... maybe some day...

Think I might know a Guy looking to buy that from you...??

I did put new seals about 1000 miles ago, so I assume they are ok, do they happen to move or something? I'll take the whole thing appart tomorrow, was in a hurry today.

Cotton would be best to field this question.

I would have nightmares, If I think about it.

the brace that hold the pipes has this screw and it seems a little weak, maybe this is fucked up, cause I couldn't tighten it stronger...
Photos would help here...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
81 Posts
"I did put new seals about 1000 miles ago, so I assume they are ok, do they happen to move or something? I'll take the whole thing appart tomorrow, was in a hurry today".

Head alignment possibly?

Jerry
Rhode Island

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"I did put new seals about 1000 miles ago, so I assume they are ok, do they happen to move or something? I'll take the whole thing appart tomorrow, was in a hurry today".

Head alignment possibly?

Jerry
Rhode Island
Do you mean my head aren't in line ?!?!!?? :eek:
Or just the admission pipe that could be twisted?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts