Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I have; Harley evo, 5 spd revtech with kicker and just installed primo Rivera brute 3 open with trans support plate. The bike previously had a bdl 3" open. I installed the primo and when I started it the belt starts to track toward the tranny. It hangs off the rear pully about a 1/4". I didn't re-align the tranny because it was already straight from the previous bdl. The front pully sat about a 1/4" closer in then the rear so I used the spacers to space the front pully out even with the rear. Same problem. The belt is a little tight, the manual says 1/2"-3/4" of up and down play and I only have about 3/8". Will that do it? I even tried to put a little kick in the rear pully by shifting the tranny just to see what would happen, no change except it's now miss aligned.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The simple answer is --- your alignment is off. It doesn't take much. I use two framing squares (the big-ass L shaped ones) to check alignment in the horizontal plane, and the same two squares or two staight edges to check the vertical plane. It may take some subtle shimming to bring the faces of the motor sprocket and the clutch drum into alignment in both planes. Check this out and see where you're at. Also, check the numbers on your belt drive parts to make sure they match up with your motor sprocket shaft and transmission mainshaft lengths. The 3/8" play in the belt when the assembly is cold is too tight. The Primo and BDL both have a belt guide that bolts on the outside of the motor sprocket to keep the belt from tracking off the outside (I wouldn't count on this to regulate belt tracking, alignment is the answer), so I'm guessing that either your not running this, or your belt is tracking off the inside??

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya belt is tracking off to the inside. I'll re-adjust the pully's so they are even and sqaure to each other. The front pully is spaced out pretty far right now to match the rear. I'm thinking my tranny isn't sqaure with the motor right now.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Good ideas here. I loosened my tranny mount bolts and put an old inner primary on, tightened it to the engine and tranny to line it up, and retightened the tranny mount bolts. With everything lined up I made a support plate out of 3/16ths stainless and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just re-aligned the tranny to the front pully with a straight edge. Kicked it over about 30 times without the spark plugs in and the sucker is tracking great. The pully's are square to each other withen a 1/16".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts