Jockey Journal Forum banner

Primo belt drive front Pulley teeth stripped

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bugman 
#1 ·
Has this happened to anyone? I got some grindage sound right before I was going to get some gas, then no more accelleration, dropped the primary case to find that all the teeth had stripped off the pulley, the mainshaft nut was still tight. new EVO with 5 speed. It was like have a doughnut for a beltdrive front pulley. I just what to know what might have caused it.

#2 ·
tranny dry?? might be some resistence there causing the front sprocket to wear...how many miles on the tranny?? decent belt drive that isn't hammered should dam near last forever...I would start at your tranny especially after hearing it grind although that was probably due to the front pulley teeth disappearing on ya...

#7 · (Edited)
egads! I've seen worn teeth due to loose nuts, but never completely stripped like that without prior symptoms. Even if the trans locked or something, the splines shouldnt strip like that. I've beaten the hell out of those things with almost no wear evident. I'm gonna go with defective parts on this one.

#8 ·
pulley spline be gone for one reason... no clamp load from the nut.

look at the back side of the pulley. see the wear from the rotor washer?

measure the width of what's left of that pulley.
then measure the length of the spline on the sprocket shaft.

guessing here that the washer behind the nut (you did use a washer right?) bottomed before the pulley was champed tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.