Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got an old Wassell that I want to use here pretty soon, but before I go welding on mounts and trying to make it pretty I figured it's probably a good idea to make sure it doesn't leak. I've stripped the paint and there was no filler on it anywhere, but pretty rusty along the bottom seams of the tunnel. I just want to make sure it's not paper thin and ready to piss all over.

I'm thinking plug the filler hole (with what?) screw a petcock (I said cock) in one side and turn it off, then jam my air nozzle in the other with my compressor tuned a little low and see what happens. Before I blow my nuts off, anyone got a smarter way of doing this? I suppose I could just fill it with gas and see if it leaks, but that would be too easy...

Thanks,
-Bill

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ive never tried it, but i was told that when i do MY tank that you need a bucket of water, some duct tape/packing tape (for the filler) and then plug the petcock(s). you have to put a valve-stem from a tire (obviously) into the filler, and put about 3psi into the tank.
look for bubbles in the water, with the tank submurged. if anything blows out (the tape or plug inplace of petcock) 3psi wont kill you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Compressed air works good if you are very careful with the pressure. Spray soapy water ( 20% dish soap) on the outside of the tank. It doesent take much pressure to get bubbles if you have a leak. No bubbles= good tank.
-TT

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have various sizes of rubber freeze plugs that tighten up with a nut for the filler area.Sometimes you might have to wrap a little duct tape around them for a in beteewn size.I use various sized pipe plugs for the petcock holes.like stated use a rubber tip blow gun turn regulator way down before puttin air in.Word to the wise I launched a freeze plug about 20 ft across the shop and poofed the tunnel out one time cause I forgot to turn the air down.Sum bitch sounded like a gun goin off,dont take much to fuck up a tank...HAHAHA
Heres a link and a pic you can aso get theses at auto parts stores loke napa probl not autozone.

Shoe
http://www.habco.com.au/h400.htm

·
Registered
376 Posts
i was three states away from home a few years ago when the front top tab on one of my shovelhead fatbobs cracked away from the tank and started leaking.

long story short, the guy that welded the tank up for me just turned the petcock off and held the air hose in his hand and covered the filler hole with the same hand. anyway it let him see bubbles and he welded it about 3-4 times before the bubbles quit.

i don't remember how he closed off the crossover tube, but that's not the point of the story.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use the local radiator shop and a 12 pack of cold ones. They will presure test it for you, they have all the plugs and dip tanks right on site. Also any time a leak is found for about another 12 pack they silver solder the sucker up. Thats what I use for my gas tanks too, best deal in town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.