Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, In the very near future I will be heading back over to the shithole (afghani land) for 12mo.
It will be somewhere around 18-24 months before I can get back to my shovel project
What is the best reccomendation for keeping the guts of my engine/tranny serviceable and corrosion free.

I also have my frame in a bare metal state

any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks much

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I would fill then up with desil, that will keep condensation out, and spray them down with it as well......Roach.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Simple Green on the external stuff. Washes off with water and soap, and keeps rust and aluminum oxidation from forming. I would shoot primer on the frame, even if you had to strip when you return. Or you could ship to my shop, and I will polish daily and return them when you return from protecting our country. Thanks for your service, and If I can give you any help when you are here or over there in country, let me know. I pack a pretty good goodies package for you service guys, and it is all free.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Wow Shovit that is a most generous offer. Well done!
\
Somebody has to step up and do it. Volunteer services, means that NOBODY has to join. So the ones that are there, are sacraficing their time, and possibly their lives, to keep us safe and secure. We see it on tv every night, but these guys LIVE IT. Imagine getting up tomorrow, and wondering if the next bullet had your name on it. Not a fun thought. So, every chance I get, I thank a current or past vet. For about 20 bucks, i can load a box full of snacks, and good reading mag or book and a good pair of socks, send it to our guys serving, and even if they like nothing in the box. Someone else will. So I spend a few minutes, rounding it up, boxing it up, putting postage on and shipping. They live the nightmare of the bullet with their name on it. So my part is easy. Vietnam was my war, and it sucked on its best day, and I WAS NOT in country. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but it is the least I can do, and I do it regularly, with humility.

Thanks to all you service guys and gals. I PRAY for you every day.

·
Registered
935 Posts
spray it with wd-40 and put it in plastic bags with a can of dessicant.no air -no corrosion . 12 months isnt that long of a time for parts to be stored , but will seem like forever to be away , good luck and be careful . and thank you very much

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somebody has to step up and do it. Volunteer services, means that NOBODY has to join. So the ones that are there, are sacraficing their time, and possibly their lives, to keep us safe and secure. We see it on tv every night, but these guys LIVE IT. Imagine getting up tomorrow, and wondering if the next bullet had your name on it. Not a fun thought. So, every chance I get, I thank a current or past vet. For about 20 bucks, i can load a box full of snacks, and good reading mag or book and a good pair of socks, send it to our guys serving, and even if they like nothing in the box. Someone else will. So I spend a few minutes, rounding it up, boxing it up, putting postage on and shipping. They live the nightmare of the bullet with their name on it. So my part is easy. Vietnam was my war, and it sucked on its best day, and I WAS NOT in country. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but it is the least I can do, and I do it regularly, with humility.

Thanks to all you service guys and gals. I PRAY for you every day.
Sir, Thank you for your kind words and well wishes, it does mean alot to me and my fellow brothers/sisters deployed in combat zones knowing that servicemember's still hold the support of the general American public.

I am tempted to bring sled to your shop for safekeeping, your only but a few hours from me, however I am not one to impose. again Thanks much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.