41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yea for sure can be repaired

·
Registered
312 Posts
if that crack is just around the rocker cover boss have it welded up , re drill and tap.
when you were talking about 'the heads being full of oil', did you mean oil sitting between the head fibs externally?.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My neighbor has a tig I’ll see if he wants to give it a shot. I didn’t know where the oil problem was coming from, it was probably from a lack of rocker box gaskets, a friend suggested it may have been the rockers not draining properly, and guys on the forum mentioned it could have been the tappet blocks. Oil was pooling on the fins of the head and all over the barrel. I couldn’t see that it was leaking from a rocker box. Since I didn’t put the engine together I assumed the worst

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
they don't leak if there put together with care and correctly
Flat surfaces and nothing mangled (like the crack you have)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not a one of my Triumphs leaked from the rocker boxes, the pushrod tubes, or the head/cylinder joint. Think I had the tiniest weep from the cylinder base, maybe possibly. And all of em wept from the crankcase joints.

Or at least that is what my memory insists is true. The same source tells me I used to be the fastest guy through the corners, too.

·
Registered
BSA, Norton, Triumph, Villiers, Ducati,Guzzi,Buell, Harley & misc Asian
14 Posts
The crack is common, the hole is also stripped. Most people weld them up, retap or add helicoils, often people jam in bolts when the holes are full of swarf (dirt and oil, or shavings) and blows out like a hydro lock. As well using wrong bolts.
Your preunit head is fixable too, and common to have cracks going from seats out to the bolt holes, again easy fix although too involved to explain in this comment.
None of your issues are insurmountable, just a question of information and learning

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
I’ve secured another head because I don’t weld aluminum and the local guy who flows heads isn’t working for some reason, I think he got sick. The project is on hold for a few weeks, I just bought an ultralight helicopter with a Hirth 2 stroke.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Cool
I got my ppl in Kissimmee FL in an r22 barely fitted inside what’s the name of ultralight I google it

41 - 53 of 53 Posts