Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys... finally got some time to dig the trumpet stuff out and now... I'm stumped.

I bought this a few years ago... and figured I'd use a unit motor with a pre-unit swing arm front and this pre-unit rigid rear frame section.

Then I borrowed a pre-unit from a buddy, and got hooked on the pre-unit stuff.

But when I held this rear rigid section up to his stock '53 bike... things didn't look right!

They looked GOOD... but they didn't look RIGHT!

This is NOT an aftermarket frame... it IS a Triumph piece with Triumph part numbers on all the little bits.

It is 3" longer than a stock rigid rear section.

It sits TOO DAMN LOW with the lower frame section level to the ground. About 1 3/4" from the ground! The stocker was much higher.

The NEAT thing is that it also does NOT have any lugs for the kick stand... or the tool box thingie... or anything else.

Soooooooo... what is it? A factory Triumph race piece? (Bonneville Utah?)

Is it too damn low to run on the street?

Would it be a crime to cut it up or bend it for more ground clearence?

Triumph Gurus please help!

Sam.

They took the one lug off and brazed up the hole... maybe kept the other for foot pegs?

Also... is this wheel strung wrong? It sits WAY off to one side...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have no thoughts on any of this at the moment as its WAY too late today & I'm wiped out from work (110 degrees in the shop today) but I do remember the mock up pics & just wanted to say its good to see you here....welcome aboard!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hatch, the one lower cross bar is welded on... and the one above the fender is too... but all the lugs are sweated on. Or are you referring to the two on top of the tube? I compared it to a stocker, and it is dead nuts on except for the longness and the deletions.

This thing is too damn low to be a flat tracker...

Sam.

·
Registered
256 Posts
it definitly looks like a well done modification not stock not race kit or tr5 the rearset lugs arent there...as to the height maybe the bike originally sat up high with extended forks and a sprung hub 19inch on the rear ?

id say cut away it has history but its american not british

welcome

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes...

I think classicbike is onto something. A 19" rear wheel on the earlier 40's Triumphs would move it up, as well as a sprung hub.

I went to my buddy Shawn's place today... and looked over a couple bikes. He has a pre-unit rigid frame I might pick up, as well as a pre-unit swing arm basket case... I think I might just spare this rigid, and combine the two projects he has and make one bike.

I REALLY like that orange one from the UK... and I think that is what they did... that is, took a pre-unit swing arm bike and put a rigid rear on it.

I appreciate the help, and when I get it up on the welding table, I'll post pics!

Sam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts