Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I did a bit of searching and just came up with answers for unit stuff, so here goes... i'm trying to pull the swing arm off of my '61 6T bike and have the little sheet metal covers off, the grease nipple out, and another bolt that is on the bottom side of the swing arm lug. Even with a brass drift and a bit of pounding she's a no go...

What am I missing? Is there something else holding this deal together, say a lock bolt I'm not seeing or something? I'm trying to be super careful so that I can someday put all this stuff back after I get past my short (2") hardtail days. Anybody?
Thanks, Chip

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Thanks Pete, you mean it's as simple as like using my head or something?! I shoulda thought of that in the first place...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hey no worries- I wish I could take the credit for that one, but someone else came up with the idea.

On a similar note, I was reading through an old workshop manual for a plunger frame Norton, and they show the brake rod and wing nut being used to compress the plunger springs for removal/reinstallation. Who would have thunk it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worked like a charm! Just hope the Triumph faithful don't hate me too much for putting a tail on this thing... Seems like we're all supposed to like pre unit swingarm customs these days. I tried, but damn if duplex frames don't look flat awkward as a dropped custom to me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
need louvers said; 'Seems like we're all supposed to like pre unit swingarm customs these days'
bring em on I say, don't see enough . I'm looking for some inspiration for my next pre unit build.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep L-E-M-M-I-N-G, but just because I can spell it don't look for me to jump into the sea! If this bike had been a '55-'59 it would be a swing arm custom, but damn if the duplex framed stuff just looks soooooo awkward done that way. I mocked it up and stared at it for the better part of a year with it's arm still in place and short shocks or struts before I realizedit just wasn't going to do it for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pete! This one is a different deal though... Another one that just fell into my lap for being at the right place at the right time. My '53 is still ongoing, but I'm chipping away at the right parts for it as they fall in my lap. Unfortunately, being a busy hot rod shop means stuff for me has to be done on the quick or it just takes forever. This one was given to me as a complete runner less all the sheet metal, but with all the cool Webco stuff and Bonneville bits. Yeah, hate me now, but I did say "given". The idea is as stated quick, (so I have something cool to ride when the weather cools) and reversable so when I do find the proper tank, tool box, and fenders and such that I can afford, I can build that semi resto bike I'd like to build.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
'I say build what you want to build and if people don't like it, it's ok. They don't have to ride it.'

that's the bottom line.

Amen

·
Registered
9 Posts
im having the same issue. I built the press and still a no go. Heat and tapping and nothing. Im about to cut the fucker off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts