Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having nothing but problems with my lucas k2f mag on my 58 pre unit and are looking into upgrading to a hunt or morris mag. It has a single amal concentric with a TR6 head. Any pics I have seen with a joe hunt on a pre unit has been with the upswept intake. Im thinking maybe the top of the mag would hit the bottom of the float bowl. Have seen a few pics of bikes with a Joe hunt and single JRC carb which seem to be quite a bit shorter, but would like to stick with the amal. Anyone run into this before? Would like a bit of info before shelling out for a new mag to find it wont fit.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you gotta run the upswept manifold and with a concentric it needs a early bowl without a drain plug, the monoblocks will clear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info tony, The K2F is missing spark at all temp ranges. Its at it worse at idle up at temp. It also stalls out under load in higher gears. I was thinking condenser as well but know there buried deep in the Lucas. Ive bench tested it as well and the spark is irractic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The old style condensers are not only buried in the end of the armature, but when new only had a 10 year shelf life ( never buy old, or NOS lucas condensers). I am a distributor of the Brightspark Easycap condensers in the USA, have a look at the manufacturers website in the UK for all the info:
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/
If you are comfortable with the process, shoot me an email & I can sell you one directly, or if you prefer I can do it for you as well as anything else you may need. I can do just the Easycap, or restore the entire mag, whatever you like. I can also recharge your magnet while I have it & I offer FREE inspection & price quote as well as a 2 year warranty on the job, no questions asked.

A properly set up stock K2F will work trouble free for many years, unfortunately, many of them out there are in need of various repairs, have been butchered by previous owners, or were "rebuilt" by folks that didn't do a good job.

We will need to determine which Easycap you need, but figure $23 delivered to your door assuming you are anti-clockwise with a brass backplate.

In addition to being a superior capacitor to the OEM cap., you get the added bonus of relocating the cap. right under the points for easy access, although to be honest, I don't know of anyone who has had to replace one yet !

All the best,

Skip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts