Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im reposting this from Britbike;
zgears -
i know that US cars up untill the 60's requred the generator be polarized. is this the case for bikes too? if not why? if so how?
triton thrasher -
It is the case for bikes with a DC generator (called a dynamo by the Brits).
RF Whatley -
Yes. You take your charged battery and 2 test leads. (For positive ground...) You connect the +Pos side of the battery to the case of the generator. You then monentarily connect the -Neg side of the battery to the "F" post of the generator. By momentarily, I mean touch it to the post once or twice long enough to make a few sparks.

That's it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
zgears said:
im reposting this from Britbike;
zgears -
i know that US cars up untill the 60's requred the generator be polarized. is this the case for bikes too? if not why? if so how?
triton thrasher -
It is the case for bikes with a DC generator (called a dynamo by the Brits).
RF Whatley -
Yes. You take your charged battery and 2 test leads. (For positive ground...) You connect the +Pos side of the battery to the case of the generator. You then monentarily connect the -Neg side of the battery to the "F" post of the generator. By momentarily, I mean touch it to the post once or twice long enough to make a few sparks.

That's it.
i just did mine today .went from the armature post on the voltage reg to the b + on the voltage reg arced it done .from what iunderstand you dont wanna use the feild.but i also am running a really tractor voltage reg

·
Registered
26 Posts
speedy3s said:
i just did mine today .went from the armature post on the voltage reg to the b + on the voltage reg arced it done .from what iunderstand you dont wanna use the feild.but i also am running a really tractor voltage reg[
also if its a mag. bike it must be running to do this.kyle

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
zgears said:
speedy3s said:
why is that?

by 'mag bike' I take it no battery, or just a capacitor ..

I've always heard in that case you could do the same thing with a free-standing battery, just ground to the frame with a jumper cable or whatever, then flash as otherwise ..

same as what RF Whatley above is saying to do with two jumpers, but reverse polarity as he's talking a + ground Brit bike .. (with a Lucas mag & dynamo [genney])

{edit} .. I said 'reverse' the polarity in RF Whatley's version -- AS IF -- your are running a pan, knuckle, or Sporty .. guys say "a mag bike" I dont know if it's Brit or HD ..

the Brit stuff was positive ground until their first stock Lucas Rita CDI showed up on Triumphs (that I know of) in about 1980 ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts