Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of tearing down my 53 thunder bird motor for rebuild. seems to be a fairly newly rebuilt motor, w/ bad rod bearings. http://www.flickr.com/photos/zgears/

1. who does rod bearing coversion/restoration?

2. anyone have a main bearing number for pre-unit?

3.piston and bore seem clean and tight, at what measurement should the piston be replaced? and if not should the bore be honed and/or new ring be instaled?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hey, I can do anything you need with that crank. [email protected] Answer me a question or two though. How big is the timing side journal? Also is there a "bump" right under your timing side case cover or not? Do you know whether you have a "big bearing" crankcase or a small bearing case? Do your rods have shell bearings or is the babbit poured into the rods themselves? And finally, is the crank held together by 6 little bolts?wes

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all original, 3 peice crank, small end babit rods. ive had a one peice crank conversion in a other preunit, im looking to keep this as original as posable. i paid a premium for a orignal bike so i dont want to through haft of it away.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Small end babbit rods? Do you mean big end babbit rods? The small ends of the rods, where they attach to the pistons should be bushed.

If you have no shell bearings and are dead set on the original rods, it is going to be tough or expensive. The rods when you can find them are expensive. You might want to switch to late 53 style shell bearing, big end bearings.

Is yourtiming side bearing one and one eigth inch id?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts