Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a small problem with my trump pre-unit clutch...
It's a '60 TR6 and has the slickshift tranny with 4-spring clutch. My parts books all show that the clutch is pulled tight on the main shaft of the transmission with a cupped washer then a tab lock washer then the special nut. Here's my problem, the tab lock washer doesn't look like it really has a place to lock into on the clutch side and doesn't seem like it would go around the cupped washer anyway. Someone please help! How do I keep the nut locked on the main-shaft if there is nothing to lock it? I think some unit motors have the same set-up. Is there something that I'm just not understanding??? Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?? Am I just being an idiot (don't answer that!)?

·
Registered
396 Posts
scootermcrad said:
How do I keep the nut locked on the main-shaft if there is nothing to lock it?
the "tabs" on the tab washer bend over the nut on the primary side thus preventing it from turning

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
****** said:
the "tabs" on the tab washer bend over the nut on the primary side thus preventing it from turning
Right, of course, one tab folds over the flat of the nut and the other folds over and sticks into part of the clutch... that's where I'm having the issue. The whole tab washer sits on another washer (cupped washer) so the tab that is supposed to engage with part of the clutch has nowhere to go and nothing to fold in to. Sorry I don't have a picture.

·
Registered
396 Posts
thats an excellent rendition of a unit basket setup

my 60 i just bent down onto the nut along with loctite

you can see the tab washer is different (replacement parts catalogue 1960)

heres a unit one blown up

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
****** said:
thats an excellent rendition of a unit basket setup

my 60 i just bent down onto the nut along with loctite

you can see the tab washer is different (replacement parts catalogue 1960)

heres a unit one blown up

I have those exact pictures too and the tab washer does look like the one in the top photo. Referencing the top photo for a second, there are two tabs shown pointing up (which get bent to the flat of the nut) and one pointing down (to bend into/catch the clutch components). In the picture the tab pointing down looks like it's long enough to actually bend around the washer and into the clutch center/hub area. The replacement piece I ordered isn't long enough to actually go around it. Am I just fucked? Did you actually just loc-tite the nut and then bend up the ones for the nut on the flat and not worry about the one pointing down? Should I ditch this thing and just use a split ring lock washer and red loc-tite?
Thanks for your help with all this by the way. Keep the comments coming! :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
scootermcrad said:
Did you actually just loc-tite the nut and then bend up the ones for the nut on the flat and not worry about the one pointing down?
yep....been running fine for about 300 miles now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts