Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my sheetmetal for my shovel done, how does powdercoat hold up with ocassional gas spillage? My local coater has some cool colors(some are metallics)and I could get it done super cheap. Ani input?
-Jesse

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Your tins will need to be perfect or any finish work will have to be done with special filler which will withstand the heat of the powder coat oven.Its metal based and alot harder to work.Also remember powder coat can be scratched and if it does get scratched there wont be no spottin in a place to fix it.Also decals if using like factory water slides or something like that will be exsposed to the elements and not hold up as well because they will not be under any kind of clear coat.

But cheap is cheap and it will look good if he is a good powder coater.If ya go this way post up some good pics cause I would like to see the end result.

Shoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditto what Weyland and TriumphTerror said... If its prepped properly (which I assume it will be if you are having a professional do it) It will have much greater resistance to chemical exposure (including gas) than traditional paint. You can also ask the coater themselves what their experience has been. Remember there are different types of powder, and different levels of resistance. Having said that tech mumbo jumbo, my personal first hand experience, I've seen gas spilled on both paint and powder coat. The powder coat is definately the more resistant, and basically didnt effect the finish once it evaporated... Hope that helps. Amy

PS... Hey weyland!

·
Registered
5 Posts
wjjeeper said:
I've been told that tins that are powdercoated tend to orange peel.
I have been asked that and heard that alot.. I will tell you (probably shouldnt...lol) that I have a few times. Not alot, but will also say that doing a little experimenting myself, when this happened (it was on a practice piece anyway) I decided to see what would happen if I wet sanded and buffed as done with conventional paint... Very successfull to my surprise.. Got rid of all orange peel, and shined like you wouldnt believe...

Now, I also expressed this to a local powder coater I met briefly. He's got a very good reputation and has the cockiness to boot... Of course he's gone to powder coating school.... But when I told him about the orange peel and how I solved it, his response was "well, if you do it the proper way, you wont get orange peel".... My response: a smile, a nod of the head and said "I see" while at the same time in my own dang head I was saying "thanks alot asshole!"...

·
Registered
845 Posts
There is a guy on a different board who just did this gas tank: Power Coated Tank

Its not totally pro, and the thickness of the different stages of coat are visible, but I'm sold on the idea. Especially since you can metal finish and clear over it and have it look great for years. Definitely what I plan to do once my metal work is done.

·
mucho-rake
1,122 Posts
gettingreasy said:
I need to get my sheetmetal for my shovel done, how does powdercoat hold up with ocassional gas spillage? My local coater has some cool colors(some are metallics)and I could get it done super cheap. Ani input?
-Jesse
ughhh i just went through this.
had a frame with rear fender welded to frame. i wanted to powder coat the frame a nice gloss black and then have the oil tank and gas tank painted.
the powdercoater said he would mold and prep accordingly.

the sheetmetal came back great. rich deep color, all glossy wet looking

the powdered frame with fender sucked!!!!!!!!!! (no pics)
the fender orange peeled BIG TIME and shitty prep on where the fender joined the frame. and when compared to the sheetmetal that gloss black looked like shit. maybe it was that particular powdercoater, but i dont care. im having the frame/fender painted now.

I WILL NEVER POWDERCOAT ANOTHER BIKE.............. EVER.

there is no comparison.
a PAINTED frame and sheetmetal looks far superior to powder at least any powder ive seen up close and in person.

Paint rules powder is for lawn furniture.

but you do what you like

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
todd said:
ughhh i just went through this.
had a frame with rear fender welded to frame. i wanted to powder coat the frame a nice gloss black and then have the oil tank and gas tank painted.
the powdercoater said he would mold and prep accordingly.

the sheetmetal came back great. rich deep color, all glossy wet looking

the powdered frame with fender sucked!!!!!!!!!! (no pics)
the fender orange peeled BIG TIME and shitty prep on where the fender joined the frame. and when compared to the sheetmetal that gloss black looked like shit. maybe it was that particular powdercoater, but i dont care. im having the frame/fender painted now.

I WILL NEVER POWDERCOAT ANOTHER BIKE.............. EVER.

there is no comparison.
a PAINTED frame and sheetmetal looks far superior to powder at least any powder ive seen up close and in person.

Paint rules powder is for lawn furniture.

but you do what you like
AMEN !!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, me thinks the prep was shit, therefore the results reflect that.

I LOVE the powder, and use it liberally, parts, sheet metal, frames, don't matter, if it's metal, I'll coat it.
Sometimes, I'll paint detail shit over it, stripe it, whatever...
Have had GREAT results, as I tattoo my powder coater and his pops, so, they give primo service.
They are going way above and beyond with a roofrack for my bus right now. They'll order custom matched powder, do killer prep and the prep is WHERE IT'S AT.
Shit prep = Shit results, just like ANY other craft.
Just find the right dude to do your shit, and you should be golden. Easy enough...just ask around. People LOVE to tell you who the fuck to stay away from.
Hahahahaaa...good hunting.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Shit prep = Shit results, just like ANY other craft.
[/QUOTE]
I've got to second that. I got one of the kits that eastwood sells, and an oven for free out of the local classifieds. I have done sheetmetal, brackets, batt box, pegs, and even right over chrome. I have always had good results, but every time I have some "good prep" parts to put in, I always throw in some scrap and "crappy prep" parts, just to see what the results will be.

I am usually not surprised when the crappy prepped parts come out crappy, just testing the limits. I was surprised about the chrome. Thought it would blister and orange peel, but it is just as durable. Just have to get a bigger oven now.

Here is a pic of some motor mounts I did last night:
Erron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts