Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're like me the look of a stock HD 1340 leaves a lot to be desired, I couldnt stand the look of the stock powder coating and one day on basically a whim it was off to Ace Hardware I went. I stocked up with a couple of cans of industrial "paint stripper" in a spray can. I stuffed and masked off all open ports to prevent any damage and went to work. This stuff pretty much burned skin on contact so eye safety and good gloves are a must. I was shocked that almost immediately after spraying it on that the factory powder bubbled right off. I mean literally in seconds, some places were more stubborn but you get the idea. I broke out my pressure washer and carefully sprayed the motor blasting all the shit off and much to my surprise was pretty good. i managed to get all the paint / powder off in an hour or less that includes the wait time on the stripper, probably 15 or 20 minutes as you don't want it to dry. The next step was using my lawn blower to thoroughly blast all the water away and end up with a dry raw motor. I then adapted a wire wheel to my 4 inch Makita and thats when the magic happens! Note: this should not be done, just saying a wire wheel running this fast will tear your shit up! BE CAREFUL, unfortunately I couldn't find the picture but lets just say, right down to the White Meat! OUCH. What I did was in the areas I was working on spray a light coat of WD40 and then let the wire wheel work its magic. It not a real polish job by any means but what you end up with is a really cool raw brushed bright finish. If I ever buy a new EVO again (hope not to) this will be the first thing I do. Good luck - Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all it's coming along, some wiring to go and finishing up forward controls then tearing it up!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks great, nice bike too.
Did you use a regular steel wire wheel ? (soft I'm assuming).
A brass wire brush really works great on aluminum. a soft one won't dig into the aluminum.
Never thought of using the wd40, I'll try that next time.

I've used a soft brass wire brush from home depot (about 1.25" square) by hand, which gives a nice polished look. looks like a grille brush.
Ace is the only place I've found that sells small brass brushes. They get in between the fins real nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts