Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between exit 16 and 17 of the northway here in NY (on the way to a big bike meet)There stopping EVEry bike. They sprayed paint stripper on my frame so the could read the VIN more clearly, everything matched, then they found a part number on my tranny that they couldnt read (I admit it did look bugered up). Shit this is an OLD bike, It probably had been replaced before!
Now Im w/ out a bike untill they go through the entire bike, and then have me go there and pull the trany for them. Dammit!!!!!!
any one got a 4spd harley tranny w/ clear #'s for sale cheap? LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Between exit 16 and 17 of the northway here in NY (on the way to a big bike meet)There stopping EVEry bike. They sprayed paint stripper on my frame so the could read the VIN more clearly, everything matched, then they found a part number on my tranny that they couldnt read (I admit it did look bugered up). Shit this is an OLD bike, It probably had been replaced before!
Now Im w/ out a bike untill they go through the entire bike, and then have me go there and pull the trany for them. Dammit!!!!!!
any one got a 4spd harley tranny w/ clear #'s for sale cheap? LOL
Thank God I live in Texas!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Man, that realllllllly blows. Fuckers. Better watch where they tow it to, and how it's stored. I've picked up friends bikes from impound laying on their side in the dirt of a shit towyard. Outside. Wonder if they'll nail you with "storage fees"??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Get a lawyer now.

That's at least 15 years before any transmission "numbers" were a part of a registration.
They probably saw a casting number

If enough cases can be made against improperly applying laws and seizure, those bike-only roadblocks can be stopped, but it will take lawyers.
Fuck that! Just go down there and blow the place up with a truckload of fertilizer!

Just kidding.

I'm sure it was a casting # they were looking at. Man that sucks.
Good luck getting it back. If we could sue cops for being ignorant and stupid we would all be rich.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Motherfucker. Spray paint chipper on my bike and I would be needing bail money AND in-pound lot money. Get that shit out of there quick the fees snowball so fast you can lose your scoot before you know what hit you. What's with New York lately, first that law about pipes, now this.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the # looked to be stamped (what was left of it), could some one look at there 4spd and see (maybe post a pic) the area is on the front side near the right side (your lines fron the oil pump pry go right over them.

Arrrgh!

Jeff

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm not understanding this.... how is it legal ANYWHERE for cops to spray chemical chipper on a bike? That's YOUR private property.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You know, it's impossible that stripping paint off your bike when they pull you over is legal.

They can't do that.

In order to do that they would need to get an order from the court showing reasonable cause (which would need to be proof supporting the idea that you may have a modified vin or stolen bike.)

I would get a lawyer and sue. For real.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the # looked to be stamped (what was left of it), could some one look at there 4spd and see (maybe post a pic) the area is on the front side near the right side (your lines fron the oil pump pry go right over them.

Arrrgh!

Jeff
I don't care if it's blatantly obvious that you've fucked with the #s. The police are not there to make decisions on wether to strip your paint. They are there to enforce the law, or to ask the court what the proper legal course is in cases of suspicion. That is all.

The second the assholes came with that can I would have stepped in front of the bike and told them that it's your private property, they can't strip it without a court order, and called a lawyer right then and there.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told they either do it or Impound it then do it there. So I reluctantly allowed it (it was just crappy black). I didnt think I had any thing to worry about!

Jeff

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
so the could read the VIN more clearly, everything matched, then they found a part number on my tranny that they couldnt read (I admit it did look bugered up). Shit this is an OLD bike,
Everyone can just sit at their screens and speculate, detailed info can help.

Namely, is it titled as a '72 to the stock HD '72 frame number?

If not, if it has a special-construction or "builders" title, then they could require component-numbers, but not on a stock-titled '72.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

Arrrgh!

Jeff
I'll post a pic of a cowpie I have out in the garage. Give me a minute.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I just went and looked at one; stock 4 speed ratchet top.
There ARE numbers stamped on the BOTTOM of the trans near that stud (front/right side)... 5 digits. 2 digits... a space... then 3 more. These are on the bottom; NOT the front of the case. Anybody else?

Arrrgh!

Jeff

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was told they either do it or Impound it then do it there. So I reluctantly allowed it (it was just crappy black). I didnt think I had any thing to worry about!

Jeff
Shoulda told them to impound it then, and called a lawyer right that second.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.