Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, hoping someone can help identify miscoloured wiring.
My Trispark instructions say I should have "black/white & black/yellow" wires to my points.
I seem to have green & red...
I'm hoping someone could have a good-excellent guess as to which is which merely by connection position on points pic.
Or, is there an easy way to test?

Thank you, Paul...
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I have my $10- multi-meter out. set on 200 ohms

battery disconnected:

Red points wire:
--> black coil wire 4ohms
--> red coil wire I. (infinity)

Green points wire:
--> black coil wire 7ohms
--> red coil wire I. (infinity)

Is this only telling me the black coil wire is earthed?
or is information useful?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It doesn't really matter. They are simply the wires going to the points from the coils. The rear set of points generally fires the right cylinder. That's about as far as I can take you...I'm afraid I'm not a fan of EI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From the picture the green wire is the trigger wire from the rear set of points. That set of points is closed in the picture. This sends voltage to ground and no trigger to secondary winding, thus no spark.

the red wire is trigger from front set of points. That set of points is open in the picture. The open triggers the coil to spark, you can check for voltage at the point contact on moving side of points. The fixed pad goes to ground.

now all you need is which points go to what coil and thus which cylinder. That I cannot help with. You might see the respective colors at the coils IF the wires have not been spliced.

if you are checking wire connections you can check power to coils, power acros coil, power at connection to points, power at point contact on moving side while you are in there.

You can also use the trusty ohm meter to see which coil the wire goes to. Unhook the trigger wire at the coil and see which wire at the points has continuity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Goldy & Scrapcan,
I had done the continuity test & relating everything back to hydraulic circuitry managed to come up with a half-assed plan of attack.
I wired it all up last night before I had read your post Mr Scrap.
Ran Trispark test: power to unit "pass" (12V registered where it was supposed to)

So, then was semi-confident to run the Trispark "self-test".
Picture below is a screen shot from video (video too big to upload)
plug on left is slightly hidden by a fin on top of head.
both plugs fired and made a sweet whistle noise while zapping their asses off.

So far, so good.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply gentlemen, much appreciated...
Paul...

Automotive lighting Gas Event Sky Electric blue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts