Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've spent the last 1-2 years collecting parts to build my dream Triumph Bobber. I was going to chop my stock '71, but then decided to build a pre '70 from the ground up. After changing my mind about certain details a million times and discovering what fits and what doesn't due to certain years of changes and whatnot ('60s front ends change a bit every few years) I have finally come up with a collection of parts to mock this one up. 1964 650 motor with a 1970 front loop. David Bird hardtail 4" stretch 2.5" drop. I've also lowered the front end 2" and collected all the parts necessary to rebuild the front end. The first basic Mock up is done, motor out for Pro Rebuild and bike has been taken completely apart and now being slowly put back together, rattle can flat black, to ride this summer so I can work out any bugs (hopefully). Next winter I hope to take apart again for paint and powder coat. We'll see.............So far, frame is temporarily painted flat black bolted with lock tight. Took apart the rear hub, thoroughly cleaned and inventoried. Now, time to put back together, and next I think will be the rebuilding of the front end............

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice job! it takes a lot of patience to do things right. the only thing i'm not feeling is the bars. i really like your tire choices.
I dont likem either. I've got some others. These were just for mock up purposes and to be able to move the bike around. yes, LOTS of patience. Some times I have to stop and remind myself of that one to avoid building a "Death Trap" hahah

·
Registered
148 Posts
glad someone else changes their mind ! i started building mine as the bike i had always liked
only to find what i liked was changing as the build progressed.
i too,have spent little on paint,all rattle canned, the frame is satin black and only two thin coats of that .glad i didnt powder coat it first off,having changed a few thing along the way,the petrol tank being one,and cutting off studs and rewelding them would have hurt with powder coating.
the paint cost about $80 (your money $ ) it wont win any prizes but i can buy a trophy with the money i saved,and i've learned a lot for when i get to the first overhaul. (like "buy a compressor" )
i put the change in taste down to getting older,going from conservative chops,to 50's/60's style bobbers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I have cleaned and inventoried the rear wheel hub and reassembled. Had a small issue with the break plate's dust cover and not quite fitting properly, so I removed it (as I learned from another neat Triumph Build here on JJ) And then finished with a coat of Flat Black! The whole bike will be Flat Black until next year where i'll hopfully know what I want and Pro Paint the whole bike. For now Flat Black will be my blank canvas unless its too rad to repaint.............

Next was to tackle the steering. Disassembled, manual washing and inventoried...........

Keep moving foreward!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with the arrival of the North West rain (Portland, Oregon), I've been able to spend some time in the garage finishing up my '64 Triumph. It stopped raining just long enough to pull her down off the lift and out of the garage into the "Real World" outside on the ground for some progress evaluation and drool time. So this is what she's gonna look like going into the "Evolution Period" where i'll be able to ride her and continue to change my mind.........

Now she just needs to be wired up and cables attached..........

What do ya think?

-Pod-

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here it is. After saving money to be broke, changing my mind a thousand times, and searching for free time to build her, I have finally got my '64 up and running. She started for the first time on her 2nd kick!!! I got her to take me for a ride around the block under her own power!!! Now its time to iron out the kinks and get her titled and registered and then we'll be ready for summer!!!!!!!!! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.