Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
howdy folks just a query,

The Ms' wants a bike...

I should start by saying she wants someting cool but reasonably comfortable, i can do the cool bit, but it's what to start with...

She doesn't really want a "hardcore" rigid frame, originally she figured a Sporty was what she wanted but i started to think a little diversley.

I was wondering if an old plunger frame would be any good?

I've never owned or ridden one, so basically the question is, suspension wise, how different is a plunger to a rigid or swingarm bike, i figure it fits in between, but having never owned one... Any advise?

Many Thanks.

Bj's - Moonshiners

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had an Ariel Square Four with a plunger frame and it was a nice ride. It did not have the travel of a swing arm, so it bottomed out on bumps quicker. As long as it's tight and not all worn out it should be fine and will get a lot of looks as you don't see them much any more.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Every plunger I ever rode was wore out so . It was real fun in the turns . Kind of like having a baddly bent rear rim . I also had a sprung hub Triumph and that was OK but mainly the seat springs saved the ass .

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
what tom said! the only pogo that ive ridden was a 58 swingarm panhead with a old paughco springer. i must say that HD has royally fucked up, they should have used THAT recipe when desinging these "long haul" bikes.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, getting some cool ideas, keep em coming...

Maybe a swing arms the way to go... and do something different with the rest of the bike...

Any brits, got any cheap brits for sale...?

feel free to chip in with any other comments or suggestions... completely open to sugestion on this one...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think you can finance these, or find a used one cheap. They have a ton of cool cafe stuff for them. it's a 500 cc standard, so insurance is nothing. Easy to do your own maintenance. Of course, you could also buy a vintage triumph for the same price....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have one, be it old and shit.

But yea think the siwngarm brit bobber could be the way to go...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
you got to finish your own first!!

get her a panther - they are the true un-sung hero of british bikes

single cylinder, stress member of frame, [make sure its a sloper you get - way cooler] they are reasonably available - might have to wait a bit but have a good owners club that re-manufacture parts as they become unavailable...

heres a teaser....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
she'd shit a brick, if i got her that! Infact worse she'd try to drag me down to Harley...

Just been waiting for a new set of VIN stamps to get delivered... I'm working away for a while, but as soon as i get back i can stamp up the frame and start putting the thing back together...

Mine will be done soon...

Just starting to think about getting her a project to start building.

She's got her 356 so no real hurry...
Just looking for cool ideas, may end up doing a bobbed sporty, but would much prefer something a bit different... Will probably go down the trump route, at least parts are fairly easy (here).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
oh come on now - a panther is always going to be cooler than a triumph ;), at least get a norton es2 or something - thats an awsome looking engine...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sumo you missed a trick mate, this is going to be her bike, i dont wanna spend more time in the garage than I have to.

Those norton engines are cool, I really wanna do something like that for myself... next time...

I'll see what Benny has lying around in a box next time i'm up there with some $. ;-)

Na, I live down the road from Sammy Millers, I should be able to pick up an old trumpet there...

·
Banned
377 Posts
panthers... yes well, keep away from the swingarm frames and the 650 versions are pretty nasty but the older 500 or 600 in a rigid frame would be a lot of fun

stay away from Dowty forks too!

·
Banned
377 Posts
another thing is, that plungers such as the BSA type travel in a straight plane, and so they have a considerable effect on chain tension

the Ariel Sq 4 had a variant called an Anstey frame, whereby the wheel is mounted on short links which travel in an arc, and they are also supported by the pivots. It isn't a complete answer but it is better than the BSA sort

1 - 18 of 18 Posts