Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hardtailing a softail....

a guy in town was unhappy with his big dollar chopper , and brought it to me to modify.... He had a high dollar softtail frame ( a killer or some shit????), with a three million series rear tire, and rode it for a while, but complained that he could only get his front wheel a foot and a half off the ground in a wheelie, with his big S&S stroker, so he wanted me to "HARDTAIL THE SON OF A BITCH", well I tried to talk him into selling the frame to some schmuck, and buying a rigid, but he wasn't having it, so.... I drank some beers and made it so I have to fix it..... I found out my little 175 Miller plasma will cut through 1/2 " plate if you go slow enough...... hopefully I can fix it.......LUKESTER

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Man that's an ugly frame.. :eek: yes, cutting it is about the only thing I would do to it..keep us informed !

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW 2 views and 1 reply since the 25th ... on this board,.... I must be missing some really good posts on here.............. I guess nobodys listening, but WTF.... I really don't care, BUT I was thinking someone could use this info for hardtailing something cool, like all of us like but.........anyways my gay project is half done now, as I have added 3 tubes, and have only one lower leg (straight with a kickup) and 2 straight crossbraces... The chain side (LEFT) was a bitch because the tube needed to be kicked over 3/4 of an inch, and up about 28 degrees... which is really hard to do with a 5" radius die, but with the torch and the trailer hitch on my truck, I got it to work, It looks like a frame again..... I should have it finished Wednesday, and the customer will be able to finally do BIG wheelies....... LUKESTER.... Appleton, Wisconsin

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
That double kink by the gearbox worries me a bit.

Keep on with the progress shots and I wanna see him doing BIG wheelies :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not worried about clearance, its a little wider now, than it was as a softail in that area.... I will post pics of his wheelies later this spring..... he is a crazy fucker...., and says he has a hundred and thirty horse at the rear wheel..... he is all excited about when the dyno drags come to town.......... LUKESTER

·
Registered
317 Posts
not that it doesnt look better, because it does, but couldnt the guy just replaced his shocks with bolts and acomplished the same thing?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally finished it... It should be pretty strong, it is .156 wall, sleeved inside on the joints. I told the guy to buy a new frame , then i suggested just bolting the softtail rigid.... but he wanted me to change it, so I did. he picked it up ,paid me, and is happy as hell, so I guess thats a good thing..... LUKESTER

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts