Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I know so far. On the bottom of the pistons it says (TRW 2800 S&S). the rods say (S&S 1200F). The cam says (ANDREWS 48). The fly wheel has no visible markings on the inner rims or through the timing plug only the standard timing marks. I had the machine shop look at the cylinders and he said the were in great shape all he had to do was hone them out. he even said I could probably reuse the pistons but just get new rings. I am really new to the whole harley thing. I would feel more comfortable about getting new pistons and rings but Im not sure what to get because I dont even know what I have as far as (ci,bore,stroke etc.) also I noticed on the top of one of the rods the brass bushing has shifted a little compared to the other side is this anything to be alarmed about. Im really trying to avoid splitting the cases and dumping to much dough in it. any help is good help. thanks!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Registered
431 Posts
Some info on the pistons:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1208660

It looks like you probably have a stroker. The 84" sportster is 4.5" stroke. It's possible to use them with stock stroke, but you'd have to shorten the cylinders or have very low compression. You can measure how far the pin bushes travel and get close enough to know the stroke. It's not real common to have S&S rods with stock stroke, but it does happen. Are you SURE there's no ID code on your wheels? S&S id codes are usually visible through the timing plug hole.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
You will need to email andrews on the cam, but still, what is the stroke, you will be rooting around in the dark untill then....Roach.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So here is what I know so far. On the bottom of the pistons it says (TRW 2800 S&S). the rods say (S&S 1200F). The cam says (ANDREWS 48). The fly wheel has no visible markings on the inner rims or through the timing plug only the standard timing marks. I had the machine shop look at the cylinders and he said the were in great shape all he had to do was hone them out. he even said I could probably reuse the pistons but just get new rings. I am really new to the whole harley thing. I would feel more comfortable about getting new pistons and rings but Im not sure what to get because I dont even know what I have as far as (ci,bore,stroke etc.) also I noticed on the top of one of the rods the brass bushing has shifted a little compared to the other side is this anything to be alarmed about. Im really trying to avoid splitting the cases and dumping to much dough in it. any help is good help. thanks!!!
You're gonna want to have the pin bushings replaced and reamed to cure your problem with the bushings spinning in the rod. The hole must line up with the hole in the rod. That operation can be done quite easily without opening the cases. If a machine shop I trusted said to go ahead and run the stuff you have with new rings, I'd do just that.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Kickstarts make a good point, but we still need to know the stroke, mesure it and then we can say wherther you can get pistons or not, some of the diferent CI combos are no longer made and not good any way, that motor was probly made in the early 80's when we were still trying to figure all that out, now we know what combos work for speed and long life of the motor.....Roach.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I tried to measure it I tried to get it spot on but it was kinda hard to tell. With the rods all the way down it sticks up a inch. And to the top it goes up to 4 1/4 so would you take away the first inch it sticks up at the bottom its lowest point. That would be 3 1/4 stroke ????

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Take a streigt edge across the case at the base gasket surface, then see how mutch it goes up from there, but sounds like it might be stock 74" witch is 3 3/16ths if I remember right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts