Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 69 bonneville hardtail.got oil pouring out of the breather and out of the cylinder head around exhaust ports.intermittently smokes out of the exhaust.tore down top end and didnt find much.left piston had top comp. ring and oil ring gaps lined up.crankshaft seal in timing gear cover was torn.a little oil trace in the intake ports. bike always starts on first kick and runs good but oil pissing all over my back tire while riding.anyone have any ideas? dont really know much about the breather asy on intake cam and im not really wanting to split cases for no reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
hotrod31 said:
my 69 bonneville hardtail.got oil pouring out of the breather and out of the cylinder head around exhaust ports.intermittently smokes out of the exhaust.tore down top end and didnt find much.left piston had top comp. ring and oil ring gaps lined up.crankshaft seal in timing gear cover was torn.a little oil trace in the intake ports. bike always starts on first kick and runs good but oil pissing all over my back tire while riding.anyone have any ideas? dont really know much about the breather asy on intake cam and im not really wanting to split cases for no reason.
Check first to see if you have any kinda blockage in the return pipe to the tank, Then Check out the pump take it off ,undo the square nut s at the bottom remove the springs and balls wash out in clean gas place the balls back on their seats and tap em once with a flat punch this will reseat them. Then reassemble not alot can go wrong with the trump pump unless the body is badly worn, the cover oil seal don,t help ,as or man says your wet sumping ,
as the pistons come down 'the cases are pressurising ,due to the extra volume of oil ,the breather cant cope so it blows up past the rings, Also Check your scavange pipe inthe bottom of the cases ,i've seen plenty of sump filters covered in crap and gasket goo.

Best o luck Buddy The Baron.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GumbyChuck said:
wet sumping....oil is piling up in the lower end....scavenge side of pump isn't keeping up
Or could be as simple as just too damn much oil. When my Norton wet sumped I was checking the oil level everyday. When it was low I added more. A full oil tank AND a full crankcase makes for just TOO MUCH OIL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts