Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some new progress on my bike...
i have been so fucking busy at work, i feel like this bitch is never going to be done. rich yuppie fucks calling me all the time to tune there carb on there vespa!!!!!!!!!!(ok calm down):)

anyways, still got to finish welding them. have not yet decieded
on what kinda a finish they should have. chrome, black, wrapped, or bare metal.

do any of you guys have some ideas, i am kinda running low on my budget.
your 2 cents would be awsome.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Like the welds. Fuck the chrome. Black, bare or wrapped will look great on that bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Depending on what the welds look like or if they are smoothed out completely, I like a nice chrome finish. I think it was Irish Rich that said that pipe wrap is for people that want to hide their welds--well, if that's the case, use the pipe wrap. But when you make something well, you should be proud of it and not hide it. I guess if you like the look of pipe wrap you could rock it, I just don't think it looks good on very many bikes.

Black may also look good depending on your final color scheme. You could also consider ceramic coating the pipes, which looks like polished aluminum.

RAYZOR said:
some new progress on my bike...
i have been so fucking busy at work, i feel like this bitch is never going to be done. rich yuppie fucks calling me all the time to tune there carb on there vespa!!!!!!!!!!(ok calm down):)

anyways, still got to finish welding them. have not yet decieded
on what kinda a finish they should have. chrome, black, wrapped, or bare metal.

do any of you guys have some ideas, i am kinda running low on my budget.
your 2 cents would be awsome.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Smooth your welds w/ a belt sander and spray the pipes w/ high temp. paint. That's cheap.

Bare metal is neat if there's no humidity down there, otherwise...you know.

What Nutz said on header wrap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I really dont understand everyone's big aversion to chrome. The only reason i ever hear is "yup's and rub's like chrome," so what?

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Kyle said:
I really dont understand everyone's big aversion to chrome. The only reason i ever hear is "yup's and rub's like chrome," so what?
Because it's hardcore to not like chrome, yeesh. Don't you want to be hardcore? I hear it's all the rage.

Man, you show up at one of those hardcore magazine shows on a garbage wagon like this, you'd be in for some real ribbing. What a piece of shit, huh?

Attachments

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I'm getting a big pile of chrome back this weekend and the exhaust was one of the first things I wanted done . I pretty much made the whole system from the mufflers up and pipe wrap was out of the question . Lots of grinding & sanding and shit , but they are going to be out of sight . IMO nothing looks better than a clean chromed out exhaust .

·
Registered
583 Posts
How you finish the pipes depends on the look your looking for. If you are going to have a lot of other chrome, chrome them. If your looking for the rat look paint them. I like your design..

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Chrome don't get you Home, but you sure do look purty brokedown next to the road. I vote PAINT.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Now that girl is fucking hot.

The bike is nice too.

Tony Bones said:
Because it's hardcore to not like chrome, yeesh. Don't you want to be hardcore? I hear it's all the rage.

Man, you show up at one of those hardcore magazine shows on a garbage wagon like this, you'd be in for some real ribbing. What a piece of shit, huh?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is what you're saying that chroming your exhaust makes your bike break down? I don't get it.

Panman51 said:
Chrome don't get you Home, but you sure do look purty brokedown next to the road. I vote PAINT.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Chrome don't get ya home------but it don't slow you down either. I'm kinda partial to ceramic coating (HPC), never turns blue and if you don't like shiney, you can get it in colors, too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A chrome exhaust looks cool, but is a bit pricey for me, I am a long way from Mexico. I like the look of a nicely welded pipe, in flat black or bare metal and rusty, or some combination thereof. Maybe it's my background with 2-stroke expansion chambers, and how often the crack and need to be rewelded.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tony Bones said:

Exactly my point. Besides financial constraints (which guys "back in the day" most certainly had) theres not really any logic behind not liking chrome. I mean, who doesnt like shiny things?:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the suggestions guys,

i think i am going to go with paint!

but, does anyone know how much ceramic costs?

·
Registered
427 Posts
RAYZOR said:
thanks for the suggestions guys,

i think i am going to go with paint!

but, does anyone know how much ceramic costs?
up here the coater's I use are roughly 20 bux a foot...last set I had coated for my panhead was roughly 110 bux...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Panman51 said:
that coming from a guy who has chrome pipes on his bike Heh heH...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Kyle said:
No problem with chrome for me. With that said my number one rule is Function before Fashion. Chrome looks good on pipes. But if my budget is limited like it always is. I'll spend the chrome money on a functional part of the bike. I'll be going with wrap, because it fucntions the way it's designed and it looks good, in that order. Of course all of this is only my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts