Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever run pipes like this on a non hardtail sportster? Good idea? Bad idea? I have a thunderstorm pipe right now. Just some quick photoshops for ideas. I will probably slash cut the ends.

·
Registered
323 Posts
shotgun pipes typically support off the upper shock mount. you'll get used to the burns..remember the pipes are high, the bike is high and it leans to the left.Looks cool though.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Here's my unsolicited opinion. The pipes on 99.9% of the world's Sportsters are way too short. A Sporty would have to rev to somewhere around 20K to make use of the shorty drags I see. Long pipes with mufflers and small carbs will get you closer to ideal. Toss the Super B's and E's, and use realistic exhausts.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Django said:
B's and E's? Can you explain?
S&S carburetors. Way too much carb for a Sporty (at least an ironhead). The reason I mentioned this is because I always see Sportsters with drag pipes and Super E's.

I suspect many people will respond telling me just how fast their S&S equipped, drag pipe Sportsters are.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Low and long..

There are benefits to having them low.. like you wont burn your leg so much.. and when they are real long.. you get that seriously good cackle rap sound out of them.
i have had both on my shovel sporties in the past.. short was freaking loud .. long sounded cooler... but i never put em high like that.. just never did... no real reason other than me being clumbsy and burnin my leg.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes I would hate to see Mr Fancy pants with his red pants a blaze going down Grand Blvd.BAHAHAHHAHA:p

Hey Guys watch this........:D

Shoe

Chad I got your pm I will respond and get ya some info after while.......
I would leave the header and twist the grip back you will most likely notice a drop in proformance with drag pipes.......Bars down,Grip Back I always say....

magnet said:
Low and long..

There are benefits to having them low.. like you wont burn your leg so much.. ... but i never put em high like that.. just never did... no real reason other than me being clumbsy and burnin my leg.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha. Yep, it is an S&S carb.

the burning thing concerns me. Not quite as much me, as my wife, IF I can get her to ride with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts