Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been collecting parts for my "dream bike" if you will, and want to get the pipes sorted. its an early(52ish) pan rigid frame with a '47 modified knuck motor. I am running the stock front springer brake on the XA springer, so the front brake suck of course. So , I compromised and ran early juice brakes(I know the later juice are better, but i wanted a std star hub in case I want to go mechanical brakes at some point)...SO anywho , my question is will a off the shelf set of knuck pipes work with the squish tube and the master cyl...or do I need to run the pipe in front?...It WOULD be better to run it around the master as its a fairly built motor, but I want as much ground clearance as possible as well(it will have a raised trans and possibly slightly raised floorboards if possible with the master and rocker clutch) .
I don't want to waste a couple hundred bucks on some pre-bent pipes if I just will end up hacking them up and making a set from stratch anyway.....I searched a bit but didn't see a clear answer, but obviously this has been done a gazillion times. or maybe half a gazillion.

Any input appreciated....hans

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
all aftermarket pipes will need some tweaking to fit, they stink. just build your own that way you know they will fit ,plus chances are they will look better. just my .02

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Stock configuration pipes would work fine, but as Texas Rattler says most of the aftermarket replacements don't fit all that well. But a squish and header fit any engine/frame combo. I do hope you shimmed your motor right and you are using the '48 UL type front motor mount spacer, if not be prepared to blow those cases.
And '63-'66 wide juice brakes fit a stock star hub. No need to go early for hub reasons.
Robbie

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Rubone, what's specific about the '48 UL spacer? I haven't bolted in the motor yet, but was of the assumption it took a 3/8 spacer up front. What top motor mount would be used or used/modified?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts