·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
886 Posts
roadrash05 said:
i want to start making my own pipes for a big twin evo but dont have a bender.. i saw this one at northern tool... what do you think? im not sure of how sharp the angles it makes will be or how big of a piece of crap it is. im not looking for anything too fancy, just as long as it gets the job done. any opinions?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=630&R=630
Don't bother. I have the same one except that I have the self standing one. It will kink the pipe because the rollers are flat. This is good for round stock and flat stock. Not good for hollow pipe. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Get a set of unused set of pipes, a dozen lets say...cut, weld..reweld, recut..slice it some more..reweld, grind it and paint it or chrome it ! ...You will love 'em more than your "does this angle looks right to ya" pipes..! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
What Danny F. said ^ Summit and others sell Holley mandrel bends - buy a bunch and start cuttin an scratchin, um, piecing together and welding.

MC

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I'd do what Danny F. is talking about , thats how I made the front pipe for my bike . spare used parts from unwanted exhaust pipes . you could also go to a muffler shop and get a bucket full of cutoffs , u-bends , all that stuff and go for it .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, those dies had me a little leary. thanx for the suggestions. i guess ill pull a billy lane and look through a box of "screw ups" and piece it together.

·
Registered
675 Posts
No bike show referances please!!!!!!
roadrash05 said:
yea, those dies had me a little leary. thanx for the suggestions. i guess ill pull a billy lane and look through a box of "screw ups" and piece it together.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Built these pipes here with J bends from Stahl Headers.You can get any size dia.,J,U bends and straight pieces.Usually from Stahl the more ya buy the cheeper it gets.But on a bike you dont need as much as if buildin car headers.But the best thing to do is figure up what ya need and order 2 or 3 extra bends cause there is always a chance for a screw up.If you can afford it and can tig weld stainless would be a option also.Bends cost more but once done you can polish and not need the chrome plating.I would say it took about 6 or 7 J bends to build these.

Hope this Helps.
Shoe

·
Registered
94 Posts
tbone16 said:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?xsell=true&storeId=6970&productId=605&R=605

I still think a basterd box of bends is the best way to go, but what about this get up?
I used this same one 2 nights ago on some 1.5" sched 40 aluminum pipe for a pipe rack that I am building for the jeep. It did a good job of bending but dimpled the pipe at the outside holding points (black rollers). I bought it for frames and maybe exhaust for the car.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've never seen a reasonably priced machine that can bend nice looking exhaust tubing bends. Even the machines that muffler shops use leaves the pipes "collapsed" on the inside of the bend and tubing benders don't seem to work.

Summitt, Jegs and some more folks sell U and J mandrel bends. The are heavy tubing and work real well. The only trouble is they are priced individually and can get pretty expensive if you have to buy a lot of them. You might not have to use that many bends for scooter pipes though. Speedway sells a box full of bends that are pretty reasonable. Schoenfeld makes them and might sell them too. The only trouble with these is that they are a little lighter than the Hooker and Headman J and U bends. Now that I think about it, they are probably as heavy wall as most aftermarket Harley pipes though.

And, as said before, you can cut up old exhaust to get the bends you need to build your new exhaust.

Not scooter stuff, but here's some before and after shots of headers I've build for my old race car Anglia and a shot of the headers I built for my street Anglia.

Off to work.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hit up your local Meineke or other muffler shop. When I've built pipes in the past, most of the guys there will be more than happy to give you the left over pieces, angles, bends whatever they had to cut off. A manager might charge you a dime a piece, but still worth it. Then just weld.

Unless you get a more detailed pipe bender it will usually screw exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like everyone said, just get scrap bends and piece them together, dont waste time trying to bend your own.

For frames and bars, I can attest to the JD2 Model 3 bender. www.jd2.com $295 plus $135 for the stand. You need to buy a die for each size tubing you want to bend but it pays for itself quick. My buddy bought the setup w/ a 1" die which was $145. So $575 total but he's already made 20-30 handlebars with it and you can do the math.... ;)

As far as the one in the original link, you cant use that. It says in the description it will only bend up to:

1 1/4" wide flat strap - 5/16" thick
2 " wide flat strap - 1/4" thick
5/8" round/square rod

As far as the hydrolic hand bender posted, I've used those and as mentioned you will get dimples in the tube (even on .125" wall). Gets really bad if you try to make progressive bends... ie... bend, reposition tube, bend, reposition, bend, etc... You'll have dimples everywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
we use the ERCOLINA mandril bender. makes nice bends with no crimping or collapsing,...little pricey...but you gotta spend money to make money

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have a Hossfeild that works pretty good . The thing is you need a mandrel that goes inside the tube and is pulled through while bending . You can get by with wet sand packed down then welding the tube shut .
Figure this one set of mandrels I have for my tube bender cost more then the machines you have listed .

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Larry T said:
I've never seen a reasonably priced machine that can bend nice looking exhaust tubing bends. Even the machines that muffler shops use leaves the pipes "collapsed" on the inside of the bend and tubing benders don't seem to work.

Summitt, Jegs and some more folks sell U and J mandrel bends. The are heavy tubing and work real well. The only trouble is they are priced individually and can get pretty expensive if you have to buy a lot of them. You might not have to use that many bends for scooter pipes though. Speedway sells a box full of bends that are pretty reasonable. Schoenfeld makes them and might sell them too. The only trouble with these is that they are a little lighter than the Hooker and Headman J and U bends. Now that I think about it, they are probably as heavy wall as most aftermarket Harley pipes though.

And, as said before, you can cut up old exhaust to get the bends you need to build your new exhaust.

Not scooter stuff, but here's some before and after shots of headers I've build for my old race car Anglia and a shot of the headers I built for my street Anglia.

Off to work.
You just keep pushing that spindle mount Halibrand under my nose, huh..!!:D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Re: spare parts pipes

rqmcnasty said:
made these out of old scrap pipes, I think 6 pieces on front, 3 on rear.
Pipes look good, in fact the whole scooter looks great. I don't usually like factory mags on choppers, but it looks right on this scooter (maybe cuzz it's an 18"?). What front end are you gonna run?

Danny,
This spindlemount is different, it's an American that's going on the old Anglia. The wheel on the front of the "street" Anglia is an ET. It's got the rounded Mickey Thompson that I thought might be used as a scooter tire on it. I think this setup on one of Tim Conder's adaptors would look killer on a scooter.
Larry T

1 - 20 of 20 Posts