Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The conical rear hub is not the prettiest - it is my favorite though. People do that for a faster method of heat to transfer for more effective braking. That shit has got to be dead nuts on or I would imagine you would have a very unbalance rear wheel.

I perosnally dont think it looks that good.

That bike is tits though!

What site did that come from?

·
Registered
450 Posts
flattracklarry said:
Triumph moved the shifter to the left in 1974 to meet import regs.
Oh, didn't know that. I thought historically in June of 75 was the last year and month they made the shifter on the right side. Also, the 75 series production models had identical specifications of the 74 model due to the formation of the co-operative. One month later in July (75) they introduced on production the 76 model with cross-over shaft left side foot shift. There may be a grey line somewhere so who knows.

·
Registered
669 Posts
choppertown said:
Oh, didn't know that. I thought historically in June of 75 was the last year and month they made the shifter on the right side. Also, the 75 series production models had identical specifications of the 74 model due to the formation of the co-operative. One month later in July (75) they introduced on production the 76 model with cross-over shaft left side foot shift. There may be a grey line somewhere so who knows.
I owned a 73 Tiger and a 76 Bonneville, which are rh and lh shift, respectively. The owner of the Triumph dealer who sold me the Tiger (I bought it used several years ago), said the 74-up models were lh shift.

Though, here is a 74 Bonneville with rh shift...
http://www.thebiglot.com/auto_photos.asp?WI=2105322754&PN=1&D=1974%20TRIUMPH%20Bonneville%20750&P=J&PLOC=322754.jpg&R=6500&O=false&M=10000&C=5&SP=Pennsylvania&

...and a 1975 Bonneville with lh shift
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Triumph%20Bikes/pages/Triumph-Bonneville-75.htm

Agreed, the actual transition date is debatable. Import regs forced the change to lh shift in the U.S in '74, but the U.K. still had rh shift bikes that year. And there was probably rh-shift inventory in the pipeline to be sold in the U.S. when the regs changed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.