Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to run a remote MC on my bike, probably the FabKevin one and I am wanting to make a brake line. I notice that Goodridge has lines and multiple fitting.

I would get a line with NPT ends and get the correct fitting for each end. FabKevins MC has a 10mm Banjo, so that end is easy.

Im running a stock 70s Sportster Pie-Cutter Caliper, and am wondering if anyone knows what fitting I will need for that end.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think they came from the factory drilled and tapped 1/8 NPT and had an inverted flare adapter installed, or maybe the ones I've run across were tapped for 1/8 NPT after the port threads were stripped. It's been a long time.

Bob

·
Registered
364 Posts
You're correct on BOTH counts Bob --- they were originally 1/8" NPT and a lot got re-tapped to a bigger vthread, especially at the bleeder orifice.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Just use the Goodridge 1/8 NPT male to -3 male fitting (either straight or 90 degree) on your caliper, the Goodridge -3 pre-assembled brake line that's the right length for you (the Goodridge/Russell/Aeroquip brake lines have -3 female fittings on both ends), then the Goodridge 10mm or 12mm (depending on your master cylinder) banjo to your master cylinder.

Remember, The Goodridge, Russell, and Aeroquip lines are called out in the catalogs measured w/o including the female fittings. So, if the catalog says the line is 20" for example, it's actually 21" in total length.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang, thanks Rich! That sounds easy enough and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Where can i get a tradition cable or cable made to go from my lever to the master?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Dang, thanks Rich! That sounds easy enough and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Where can i get a tradition cable or cable made to go from my lever to the master?
Kevin's kit will come with the inner cable clamp for your brake cable on your master cylinder already. Barnett will fix you up on the right length new cable for your lever, or you can cut a standard Harley brake cable down to length easy enough if you can find a "experienced" one at the swap meet that fits your lever you're going to use. Kevin will walk you through it over the phone.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Kursed, Irish Rich hit it all on the head.

I just did this on a build and the one thing I suggest is to incorporate a barrel cable adjuster up at the lever. I used the repop knuck/pan levers from v-twin and they are pretty ok for the price but the adjusters on those bikes were at the drum end. Since your hiding the master end you can't put the adjuster there. We did not do this and adjustment is a bit of a pain in the ass now only having the cable clamp and master rod to do adjusting from (which means pull the tank for even minor tuning). We are gonna rework the lever for a barrel adjuster after the riding season is over.
Cable was a $10 stock replacement cut to fit with the clamp FabKevin supplied.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
90 degree fitting, brake light switch bolt, clear tubing reservoir, aluminum cap with tiny vent hole drilled in it. I'm looking for a pic. of it with out the tank and coming up blank right now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike47, any additional knowledge is appreciated. Looks way cool.

Im going to run Maund inverted levers with a really low FX tank on my Ironhead. I havent figured out where Im going to mount the MC. Maybe on the front of the frame?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts