Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:Dim posting these pics of my solid/?hybrid lifters.. because ive been told they should not be used in rebuild by some... and others say that they are still good.

http://img257.imageshack.us/g/imag0008kc.jpg/

@ the moment i understand that solid lifters are good for high rpm performance apps. and that hydraulics are better for daily riding. quieter cuz they stay on the cam better.

all opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
besides the fact their worn and need to be replaced, solid lifters are just fine for running in a daily driver. I usually check and adjust mine every 500 miles or so but that would be considered excess. most people adjust them every spring when there changing the oil and there usually fine for the whole year.

G

·
I don't see how you can tell by a photo they are worn out? How are the bearings? How do they fit in the lifter blocks?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't see how you can tell by a photo they are worn out? How are the bearings? How do they fit in the lifter blocks?
look at pic #2 and click on it to get a close-up.

you will see the picture taker did not take direct pictures of the wear surface because it is tapering severely. it doesnt matter how the bearings are at this point. Those lifters will fail.

·
Registered
243 Posts
wow, you guys can see .002" of wear just by looking at a picture? I usually need a mic to see something like that. engine building may not be rocket science, but it does need some fairly precise measuring equipment.

I say, look at manual, check tolerances. the pictures lie, those are shadows. use a mic, or dial indicator to check side play in bore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
apologies for crappy pics. i have cheap camera. this is first set of lifters i have ever looked at closely. they seem to move smooth in blocks, with NO wobble. bearings inside look nice and feel smooth. roller surfaces DO SHOW WEAR.

my main anxiety was a shop owner saying that SOLID LIFTERS were terrible in general. i may have misunderstood, and he meant MY lifters were shot. but he was really focused on getting me to buy NEW HYDRAULICS:D

and also. i could only get one lifter out of roller with finger strength. i dont want to force the others till i understand best way to remove them. but they are stuck.

i can get new set of solid hybrid PERFORMANCE LIFTERS/ROLLERS and rods for $150. seller says same as stock.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Your pictures don't tell me shit except they are solid lifters. A couple things about solids: you don't need to maintain as tight lifter to lifter block clearances because you don't need to maintain as much hydraulic pressure as you do when your running hydraulics. You should be able to "feel" if the lifters are loose in the bore of the lifter blocks. You should also roll the pushrods on a sheet of glass to make sure they are not bent. Finally, the most important thing to do is make certain the condition of the needle bearings and rollers is very good. Same thing for hydraulics.

Make sure you install the lifters correctly with the (from memory) flat parts facing each other.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If the motor is loose and close to needing a rebuild, then I would probably run them, and check regularly, when checking the adjustment. If you have dollars invested in the motor, and it is ready for a long term of riding, then I would replace them. But do take the time to measure, or at least make sure you don't have any sideplay in them. If they do, they will just get worse and take out something lower in the engine. They don't have to look good, just operate good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.