Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it's far from new, but scored this 69 tr6c from Matt the Rat over at Jimmy White's. I've been looking for a triumph project for a while, something I can build from the ground up. Yesterday Kutty pointed me towards Jimmy. So we hauled ass down to Circle City Hot Rods. Jimmy was happy to see it going to a friend and already offered to give a helping hand when needed. This is my first triumph so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a shop Manual for the 650..something I can refer to when building the motor. It would be ideal if there is a PDF version floating around.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hell yeah, another Triumph coming back from the dead.

I might be able to help you with a manual, let me check tonight and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's cool man you scored a good start can't wait to see what you do with it. I Know the feeling of getting a new project and I'm happy for ya. JEFF :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
choppertown said:
Well, it's far from new, but scored this 69 tr6c from Matt the Rat over at Jimmy White's. I've been looking for a triumph project for a while, something I can build from the ground up. Yesterday Kutty pointed me towards Jimmy. So we hauled ass down to Circle City Hot Rods. Jimmy was happy to see it going to a friend and already offered to give a helping hand when needed. This is my first triumph so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a shop Manual for the 650..something I can refer to when building the motor. It would be ideal if there is a PDF version floating around.
Split the cases, remove the sludgetrap, and replace it. Make sure you drill out the "dimple" where the plug was staked in place prior to trying to remove it. Use the newer style plug that uses an allen wrench instead of the slotted one.

Look at these pics close if you don't think you want to split the cases...

http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album41

Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the Clymer '63-'71 500 - 650cc Twins Service/Repair Handbook....

If you want it.......shoot me a PM with an addy & I'll get it out tomorrow!

Congratulations!

tim

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
what the hell is that on the back a 160? (I heard fat tires are out for the foreseeable future) hardy fucking har - nice acquisition - good luck from Jersey

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AJH said:
what the hell is that on the back a 160? (I heard fat tires are out for the foreseeable future) hardy fucking har - nice acquisition - good luck from Jersey
No AJH, it's a 130.

Les, Thanks for the link re Sludgetrap. Does that have to be clean every now and then, or only when it sits for a while?

·
Registered
372 Posts
choppertown said:
No AJH, it's a 130.

Les, Thanks for the link re Sludgetrap. Does that have to be clean every now and then, or only when it sits for a while?
If it's been sitting, pull it. After that, you should be fine fore a few years, as long as you keep the oil clean. If I need to pull the jugs for any reason, I'd go ahead and split the cases. The parts don't cost that much and it's already down that far...

With that said, the pics on that site are from my engine. It locked up at 80 mph on I-44 in Missouri, on the way back to Tulsa from Illinois in '99. I got it running in December of '99, and it's been running strong ever since.

Another tip: Hylomar for sealer instead of gaskets on the primary, tranny, and timing cover, as well as the cases. The only leaks I've had are from the rocker boxes, can't get away from using gaskets there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts